TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Airbag Lamp flashing 3 4 ?  (Read 7659 times)

MichaelCapri

Airbag Lamp flashing 3 4 ?
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »

Hi.
my airbag lamp is flashing and the code is 3 flash 4 stop 3 flash 4 and so on... but now the problem is, what does the code tell me ? at the early capris it means code 3 ( battery backup supply and code 4 ( cras sensor or security sensor ) but i think that it can be something other. I have the techdata chapter 01-20b and there is a note that i have to look in 01-20c for the newer system after 1993. Perhaps someone can help me and send a copy of chapter 01-20c to me. ( in my opinion i think that itīīs code 34 - driver airbag the spring in the steering is defect. Can that be right ?
thanks in advance for all help
greetings from germany
Mike
Kind Regards Mike

Mercury Capri 1,6 n/a 1994 Reef Green

itsmeisatu

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »

According to the 94 shop manual code 34 is trouble in the clockspring circuit.
George

MichaelCapri

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »

Hi George,
thats was my opinion too. I check the clockspring now but it looks ok. there is a little corrosion at the contacts from the plugs, perhaps that was the reason for failure code.
i check the resistance and all is ok.
thanks for your help.
Kind Regards Mike

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »

Mike-
If you think you may need a new clockspring, let me know....I have several on the shelf, including 1 or 2 from a 94.

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

MichaelCapri

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »

Thanks for your offer Russ..
the clockspring is ok. i think i have to disconnect both airbags and check the complet wiring with connected airbag simulators. But witch resistor do i need? 1 or 2 ohm.. the old capris until early 1993 need an rotunda simulator with 1 ohm resistor.
and i also searching for shop manual section 01-20c ;) but i only found 01-20b...
Kind Regards Mike

MichaelCapri

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »

Hi.
i found the reason for Code 34 :)
clockspinr, all connections and the wiring was ok.
The airbag diagnostic monitor was failed. ( Only the circuit witch control the resistance from the driver airbag.)
I get a new diagnostic monitor from ebay , change it, and all was ok. Thanks to all who help with screenshots from the 1994 service shop manual.

Mike
Kind Regards Mike

LarryC

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »

A guy named 'Steve' has just posted a file on Air Bags in 'capriamerica'(yahoo).  He has said if cruise control and/or other steering columns fuctions are working, then the 'clockspring' should be ok.  Further, he describes that our Air Bag module are hung in a vertigo position and therefore leaks from componets within the module units could give out several codes. Luckily for us, our module on the 91-94 are the same as Ford tarus's and other Ford models from early 90s. (maybe over 300000 available in junk yards).  I plan to go to my nearest 'pick a part' today or tomorrow.  'Steve' describes the location and replacement in capris can be differcult.  I dont understand if module is under/behind fuse box or the fuse box must be loosened and the wire harness remove (to gain access to module). This is the last thing I need to fix on my Capri, for it to be perfect. thank you for reading

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »

My only argument (after having pulled apart many steering columns now, and having reverse engineered the cruise control buttons) is that the clockspring & cruise/horn are totally independent systems. There is massive potential for clockspring damage if someone disconnects the steering column for any reason. (it can only turn a few turns in each direction before the cable snaps internally)

The cruise & horn use a rotary contact, which is not easily damaged like the clockspring

I have a couple airbag modules & back power supplies available if needed
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

MichaelCapri

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »

@Larry, in my 1994 Capri you can get the diagnostic monitor in 5 minutes out. itīs a little bit fumbling to press the right points at the diagnostic monitor box to unlatch the snap look from the box to the chassis.
In my capri itīs the same diagnostic monitor the for example the ford probe.

@Rocketman
in my capri from 1994 there is no rotary contact . the clockspring have 5 print-wires. 2 for airbag. 1 for the horn and the other 2 are for the cruise control. the 2 for the cruise control goes to the switches and every switch have a differten resistance. so it convert the different resistance to a switch signal for the cruise control system. ( I donīt know the capris in usa and before 1994 . my first capri in 1998 was also a 1994 model. )but i donīt think that there are different models for europe.
Kind Regards Mike

LarryC

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:38:00 AM »

Thank you for information.  I went to local 'pick a part' yesterday and bought air bag module from a 91 ford taurus.  The cashier charged me $7.  I have not looked under the dash, but, hopefully, module replacement will take less than 15 minutes.  15minutes and $7., not bad price to stop that damn flashing warning light

MichaelCapri

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »

Hi Larry.. 7$ for this modul. great.. i paid here in germany about 65$ for it from a chrashed Ford Probe. The spare parts for the capris are very expensive and rare in europe. i think i have to make holiday at a " pick the part " place in usa ;) so i come back to europ with a bag full of cheap parts
Kind Regards Mike