TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Different Distributor option ?  (Read 2682 times)

CapriProject

Different Distributor option ?
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »

The stock distributor is an 'electronic ignition' type & not like the 'old-fashioned' points, condenser, rotor/rotor cap & vac advance distributors of the past.
Any suggestions where to start to look for an 'olf-fashioned' replacement for my N/A Capri motor? Did the earlier 323's have a simular DOHC motor that was non-FI & non-electronic ignition?
Incase your asking why... I want a more simple 'shade-tree-mechanic' vehicle with no computer & it's sensors. If it has spark & fuel it starts.   Thanks.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »

No. Mazda has been using an electronic igniton for a long time, even before EFI. Even the carbureated Festivas had a computer

Find a vintage points distributor & make an adapter for it.

What are you doing for fuel? The stock fuel/spark system is so very very basic compared to most cars - not much ever goes wrong with it aside from the occasional ignitor failure
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriProject

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »

I was thinking about making a template of the intake ports & bolt holes & look for possible manifolds that could be altered in the salvage yards. Or... fabricate one out of sheet metal & tubes. The old MG & Triumphs had pretty basic ones so did the old Pintos & Vegas.
If all else fails & it becomes too much of a project to change over I'll keep the stock stuff but I'd love to simplify the number of wires needed that connect to the computer.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

Read this: http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=44713

Miata > carb conversion. Same engine but RWD

CapriProject

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

I don't think sidedrafts wouldn't work on our engine / firewall issue. It sounds like they also are having problems getting rid of the computer completely. Thanks for the link. I'll put a lot more thought into this before I scrap the stock parts.
It's fresh on my mind today because my little 2007 PU truck wouldn't restart today (100+ degree day). It cranked, had spark & fuel but turns out the Intake ait temp sensor & the MA? sensor wasn't sending the correct info to the computer. After waiting for 15 mins. it did re-start but with engine light on & 'AC OFF' message was showing. I cleaned the two sensors & disconnected the battery for a while... now it's fine. Tempermental sensors/computer killed my whole day. Wouldn't have happened with the "old school" set-up.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

No but you might have dealt with vapor lock on a similar day with an "old school" setup...

2007 = OBDII = very temperamental over the smallest things. I'll agree that the newest car's electronics are overly complex, I've seen a scanner computer connected to a late 90's Saab and it was able to tell exactly what % the windows were down. Then there's also the story of a faulty window switch being replaced, and the whole car had to be hauled off to a dealer for the computer system to be reset because it wasn't happy with a replacement switch.

The capri system is MECS = Mazda Engine Control System. It's Pre-OBDI. The system has a minimal number of sensors. It's kind of archaic, but it works. Tach + VAF singals in = fuel + spark out

I make these ITB's for the B6 DOCH. You have nearly 13" to work with on the Capri, a set of DCOE sidedrafts would certainly fit, especially if angled upward. The base manifold is my casting, the throttles are 2001+ Honda CBR1000 42mm throttles.

I don't see any sense in removing the stock fuel management though, on the sole basis that it's electronic and somehow inherently unreliable.

-Rocket

CapriProject

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »

That is one great looking set-up you've got there. I may be over-reacting on this... granted the Capri's system isn't "as bad" as the newer systems. It just hits me right in my 'weak-spot' knowledge wise. Cars, trucks, boats & motorcycles have always been my mechanical 'strong suite' until it got so electronic. I'll study the car's wire diagram some more to figure out how the electronics & I can 'get along'.  Thanks for all the help & advise.