TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Using Distributor Cap to Adjust Timing?  (Read 2106 times)

DashingDaryl

Using Distributor Cap to Adjust Timing?
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »

I changed the plug wires, plugs, rotor and distributor cap on my 91 n/a. The results were HUGE. Much more power, much less idle issue, stronger blower. It has so much more power, that now both of my belts slip.

I think because of the new power/faster spark. My timing is off. I can sometimes smell unburned fuel in my exhaust (Or so I think)

Can I follow these instructions to resolve the issue, or do you guys have a better suggestion?
 http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl438i.htm

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »

Your belts are slipping because they're not tensioned properly.

Did you move the distributor body at all? If its running good i'd be inclined to think your timing is just fine.

You can check timing by hooking a timing light to the #1 plug wire, disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor, and check the static timing on the crank wheel. Those instructions are far more involved than need be.

You won't see massive power gains by tweaking timing, so I'm guessing the car is running more or less normal and your old ignition system was robbing power.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

DashingDaryl

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »

Yes, I agree. The belts are slipping due to age and tension. Since everything was the same age, it had all slowed down to the same speed.

Since the car runs so much better than before, I am happy. However the fuel smell in my exhaust makes me think my engine could run even better.

Thanks for distilling the instructions down. Same procedure, summed up in 3 sentences.