TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 5th gear pops out  (Read 4235 times)

Piojo

5th gear pops out
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »

As i was driving my 5th gear popped out. What could of cause this

cj cooley

5th gear pops out
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

jumping out of gear can be a sign of  your transmission needing replacement/ rebuilding due to general wear to the internal bearings and/or syncronizer gear surfaces. external causes can also be to blame, such as worn shifter stabilizer bar bushings, broken motor/tranny mounts, or worn/broken components in the shifting linkage. techcapri site has a troubleshooting guide that i used when mine did the same thing two years ago, unfortunately my tranny developed other problems soon after when the sycnronizers locked my tranny unpredicably into or out of gears at random! luckily russ had a tranny for me to swap out because it was real hard to drive in downtown traffic stuck in third gear! hope yours has a more innocent culprit!

billibarou

5th gear pops out
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »

Unfortunately CJ is right on I think.  Typically when your manual transmission starts popping out of gear it means the synchros are bad.  I had a 1990 Toyota pickup with 195k miles that starting doing this.  Sure enough I replaced the synchros and it fixed the problem.  Of course you have to pull the trans out of the car to do it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
5th gear pops out
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »

Well specifically the engagement teeth on the synchro hub wear out. They get rounded to the point where there is not longer any vertical mating surfaces, and won't hold or lock together anymore.

Fortunately the 5th gears are relatively easy to access, you could locate a used hub & gearset and replace in-car. But it does not speak well for the condition of the rest of the transmission
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"