TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Should I sell or part out?  (Read 3301 times)

macros10

Should I sell or part out?
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

Hey everyone, first post, I have 2 capris, a 91 XR2 (hardtop) and a 92 n/a, neither is running. The 91 has 116k and hasn't been started in about 5 years, but ran great last time it did. I don't think it's getting spark, distributor maybe? Anyways, the 92 was running last year and I had new tires, brakes, tune-up done to it and it was running pretty good, has 158k I think, but I had to get the alternator replaced and now it's throwing the belt, which I believe is a problem with using non OEM alternators. The 92 needs a new top now also. Give me some ideas about what I can/should do and if you might be interested in discussing buying either of them or possibly buying parts. Both cars are in North Carolina, south of Fayetteville. Clear titles on both.

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:30:00 AM »

Man, i wish you were a little closer. I will be in the market for another XR2, in the next few months, to put my engine in when mine is finished. Oh well...
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »

Do you get fuel? I worked on one that had been sitting for a long time as well and the fuel pump basically melted all the plastic, swapped the pump and started right up...

I have parted out about 4 cars as of late. I have made a bunch of money off them. You need to have the space and time to do it. You can make more than a running car most times.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

macros10

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »

Thanks for responding! I know when I changed out the fuel filter, is seemed to be filling up with fuel, but it seems like I wasn't hearing the pump prime up when I turned the key, not sure if it's supposed to, but on a turbo I figured it should have been, so yeah, fuel pump crossed my mind also. Is there a good way to check if it's getting fuel, and what about spark? Thanks again!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »

These cars don't prime the pump. The pump will only run when its cranking, or when the pump plug on the firewall is jumpered
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »

Ya, it should be spitting out a bunch of fuel when you try to crank and the fuel line is off the rail
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible