Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri XR-2 89-94

Ignition switch problem.

<< < (2/2)

boomingbeetle:
Hmmm. If you can find it and take a picture, MikeH is parting a car and he might be able to hook you up with a replacement. Check his thread in the parts section, he just sent me a few misc items last month

blueamber:
If the cylinders are gas flooded, then ECU is turning injectors on maybe all the time = nostart flooded.  If not flooded and if you got spark and fuel (like you said) then the car needs to try to run unless the injectors aren't working (no gas into cylinders) or timing is way off (spark when the valves are open=no run).  If starter spray makes the engine run, then its an injector issue based on good spark and good gas to injectors (what you said).  Bad main relay or no power to main relay will not let the injectors run, or bad ECU.  Who did your timing belt and is it guaranteed to be installed right?

chrispoe:
There is a diode under the dash which is used for the buzzer, it ties into the ignition relay. If this diode failed(shorted out), it would send power from the room fuse(10A) back into the ignition relay, then into the meter fuse(10A). From there it would go to the ignition switch`s output. Which could keep the car running until it blew a fuse.

If this is what happened, then the fuse ROOM would probably blow, followed by the METER fuse.

You said you have no check engine light with the switch in run, so the first thing I would check are these two fuses under the dash.

Edit: If one of them fuses are blown, unplug the diode or remove the ignition relay no 1 before replacing em

jman2030:
Update all three diodes tested good. ECM tested good as well. It's not getting power at all. Already have installed a new ignition switch. May be a broken wire or corrosion at all of the harness contectors in the engine compartment. Because before I traded a 50 cc scooter for this car it was sitting outside for a few years. So it's time for me to clean up all of the connections to rule that out all together. And then perform continuity testing from there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version