Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri N/A 89-94

Console options and other interior bits

<< < (2/2)

SHOwn:
Just to be clear, my reference to green lights is referring to the difficulty of seeing overhead traffic lights with the top on. The stock Capri seats, as junky as they are, (especially 91-93) are very low profile and mount low to the floor. Every centimeter you raise the seat has a compound effect on the overhead sight line, so that is the trade-off. You rarely see nice Capri seats though. The fabric is awful and worse, the foam padding inside disintegrates and you see yellow dust on the carpet and wrinkles in the fabric.

Do check the clearance also on the Sable cup holder idea. I have to doubt that there is room there for a cup of joe when you are shifting. However, this would be less of an issue with automatics.

I do have a set of 94 cloth seats but they would have to be rebuilt and reupholstered. I’m heading for Naperville tomorrow so if you want them shoot me a pm. I could let them go pretty cheap. They really are comfortable seats when you redo them.

94daves:
What year BMW 318 did you get the seats from?  Was it difficult to make them fit?

SHOwn:
It was a 98 318i, heated seats. I’ll have to see if there are pix on this site. I made pretty flat brackets that bolt to the bmw holes in the front, they are about 4” long and mate to the OEM front holes in the Capri floor, snaking up to the bmw bolt holes. For the back holes I just ran a 1-1/2x1-1/2” square tube across the floor bolt holes and drilled them, then added bolts through the stock floor holes. Then I drilled holes in the top side of each end of the tubes and bolted the bmw seat holes to the tubes. Worked out beautifully but your riding about an inch higher than stock. The bmw heater switches fit perfectly in my 94 Capri window switch holes in the console, only had to file an edge a smidge. I still use the stock 91 window switches in the door. Man those heaters are nice these cold days!

I’ll have to look for pix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version