TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: pics of the baffles under VC  (Read 6251 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
pics of the baffles under VC
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »

Can someone post a pic or two of the baffles that Rocket talks about ? On/ under the Valve cover.... Im getting oil in my intercooler, and theres some in my Boost controller.  Im hoping that may be the cause. 
thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: pics of the baffles under VC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »

I don't have any good pictures - but here's something.

The outlined area has a baffle on it, as well as the area to the left.
If you haven't messed with the valvecover & baffles prior to the oil issue - it would be a good idea to check your turbo.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »

thanks Rocketman..  I believe its possible that the previous owner may have changed the VC gasket. Not positive, but possible. I have checked the turbo before, and there wasnt any play side to side, but im not sure if i checked the end to end. If the turbo doesnt have any play, then it is more than likely good ? I still feel boost, and hear the whine while driving.. I did get some oil out of the intercooler not too long ago. Still , the acceleration isnt what i think it should be. Maybe im used to the 10 psi, just not sure what to think.  I do want to send off my ECU to you in the near future, but really want to get this oil issue rectified first.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »

i just saw a video about CHRAs.. is that something i should consider getting a new one, and install it ?  Im handy with tools, and a DIYer . Looks simple enough.. If my turbo has play ..  what do you think Rocket ?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:24:27 PM »

Usually the only time you have issues with the baffle gaskets is if someone's powder coated the VC - you have to remove the baffles to clean the VC. It's happened where folks don't re-seal the baffles afterwards leading to oil issues.

If you have shaft play or can discern a leaking oil seal in the turbo, you can have it rebuilt or replace the CHRA if you can find a suitable replacement. VJ14 cores are not available as far as I know, but the VJ11 are (someone linked to one in the UK on eBay i think?) many folks take the opportunity to upgrade their turbo to a hybrid while its all apart.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »

Thanks Rocket...
i did see that posting regarding the CHRA for the VJ11 (in UK ).. I would most certainly like to upgrade to the Hybrid. Do you see many , or any VJ11 housings out there even now ?. and if i remember correctly, only one "tube" has to be modified when the turbo is a hybrid. Cant recall the terminology for what needs to be modified. But i have been researching some on the forum. 

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

Pretty easy modification. I'll try to start writing it up ASAP. Just drove mine to work this morning after 4 nights of installing it.

Yes you need a vj11 compressor housing, a 13/16" hardened drill bit, a few drill arbors, exhaust gaskets, high temp Copper Plus sealant, a good (or new) vj11 CHRA, a new oil drain hose (likely), a coolant hose kit from eBay, a few AN fittings (or a Ford Ranger 2.5liter bypass hose), a vacuum port plug, and patience.

The big difference as far as fitment goes is that our vj14's have coolant going in and out each side while the vj11 has both lines going in the engine block side of the cartridge, which makes at least one of the original hard lines obsolete, and makes using that eBay kit a really good idea. Oh, and while you are in there you might want to put that straight flow aluminum intercooler and piping kit on if you have another car to drive for a while ( which I did not).

Beside that, there's a very small vacuum/boost port on the discharge end that needs to be capped, the waste gate needs porting, and the inlet support bracket has no mounting boss like on the vj14, but with the other bolt still supporting the top and a good hose clamp on the inlet, I believe you'll be fine without it.

I should just go ahead and write it all up right now, but that's all I can stand after slaving over a hot CAD station all day! Besides, I have to upload all the pictures to a page that can be read by this website so you can get a front row seat.

I'll use this and embellish it when I work the pix in. Might be a week or two though.
Ron
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »

There really is no need to go thru all of that. If you are going to take the time and effort to pull off the vj14, just get the damn thing rebuilt using the VJ11 compressor wheel and housing. This will give you a complete bolt on with most all of the pertinent oem do dads as you are using the VJ14 bearing housing. I have done this well more than once. Now you have a turbo that will be done and worry free with no install hassles. How many times do we have to reinvent the wheel. If you want a wheel and housing I have a few. 80.00 shipped in the US.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »

Sounds great if you have a good CHRA. But the OP indicated oil in intercooler and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how either of our vj14 CHRA's could have been reused. Not reinventing any wheels, just trying to keep my 25 year old daily driver going.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 11:19:44 PM »

Oil in the cooler does not mean a bad bearing housing. Could simply be a pcv issue, cam cover baffle. A bad turbo seal will delegate you to dusting for mosquitos...well more than some oil in the cooler. If the turbo has miles on it and no obvious signs of failure it's best to get these old IHI's in for a rebuild to extend their serviceable lives. It is when you have an issue like bearing failure that the bearing housings get eaten up and put you on the hunt. No bashing here but over the many years at this I see it all too much and I like OEM as much as possible.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »

For me it was far cheaper to pick up a used VJ11 ($100 or so?) than it was to rebuilt/hybrid the VJ14 ($400 plus?)
I didn't mind the hassle of the lines. I used rubber lines and reinforced them with hose clamps where it wanted to kink due to tight radii.

Are there shops out there that will rebuilt a stock turbo inexpensively? Ive tried a DIY rebuild myself and botched it

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 09:47:25 AM »

awesome guys... appreciate the info very much. I just looked at the oil issue again, under the car, and found the cold side of the turb oil covered, but also am seeing oil on the alternator, up around the timing chain cover , on each of the oil pan bolts (even on the opposite side from the turbo)..
I could assume that the oil from possibly the turbo can find its way even to all those places ?  Cant really see oil around the VC on top side.   
I have recently changed the PCV valve. still same results. I am getting boost, but i believe its not as much as it should be. I could be wrong, but i know the car . I did check the side to side on turbo wheel. No play. didnt check in/ out yet.   
If i did get your wheel, and housing azgtx ... this would involve having it rebuilt and balanced... sounds expensive.  by the way azgtx.. are you in Arizona ?  i am heading to Sedona in mid Dec !.  first time there. My uncle retired to there. Looks awesome

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »

Mine definitely had a bad turbo seal. Pint of oil in the intercooler, a wash of oil on the compressor inside face, oil all over the front side of the engine all the way up to the head and the whole oil pan. Not much under the car, but mine is hard to judge cause it's rough black undercoating. My plastic splash shield was constantly soaked and I thought I had other leaks, but it turns out I only see a trickle coming from the crankshaft area, but it could be the cams or even the valve cover, but they have all been replaced in the last year.

R. Powell

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »

Mine definitely had a bad turbo seal. Pint of oil in the intercooler, a wash of oil on the compressor inside face, oil all over the front side of the engine all the way up to the head and the whole oil pan. Not much under the car, but mine is hard to judge cause it's rough black undercoating. My plastic splash shield was constantly soaked and I thought I had other leaks, but it turns out I only see a trickle coming from the crankshaft area, but it could be the cams or even the valve cover, but they have all been replaced in the last year.
Have you changed out the valve cover gasket when you changed the valve cover? I had that problem for a long time and it wasn't fixed till I changed the gasket itself.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »

New Fel-Pro rubber set with RTV at the pinch points and on those baffles. Even went back a few months later and did it hem over again with new to be sure.
R. Powell
Pages: [1] 2