TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Oil Leaks from rear of engine  (Read 2294 times)

Casper

• 93 XR2 and 91 Turbo Clubsprint (tribute)
Oil Leaks from rear of engine
« on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:31 AM »

Hi,

I am currently chasing oil leaks on my XR2 turbo with a new valve cover gasket just installed - there was a kink in the gasket which was letting oil thought - I do some track sprints and I have been getting a lot of oil dripping after 5 laps but I don't actually lose much oil at all - I am hoping that the oil is just coming out as vapour (high pressure) through the kink in the valve cover gasket.  It is all over the rear of the block where the gasket leak is...

As a mechanic told me many years ago - with oil leaks always start at the top if you cant find an obvious source.

See the photo for the kinked gasket at the rear just to right of the 1-2 cam bearing cap.

While I hope I have it fixed - just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem perhaps with the oil pipes behind the engine? Is this a common issue for others?

Thanks

Casper

Casper

Re: Oil Leaks from rear of engine
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:44:53 AM »

Wow that photo comes up very large....!!  I have a better view.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:14:00 AM »

I have that problem on my N/a I think it just has to do with maybe the torque of the bolts, or something(probably my 20 year old valve cover gasket). i dont lose much oil though its just a few drops here and there on mine. Although mine isnt kinked like yours.

Id definetly get another new gasket though, when it gets kinked like that it may never retain its proper shape.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Casper

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »

Thanks - yes it was kinked pretty bad - Hoping the new gasket I installed will solve the problem - need to a few kay's to see if any drips appear - so far so good..!!