TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Started Drinking Oil  (Read 6393 times)

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
Re: Started Drinking Oil
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »

Am I wrong in thinking that spraying the bottom of the piston doesn't equate to oil injection? This kind of oil application is simply movement within the confines of the crankcase, not injection into the combustion chamber which gets burned up.

But back to the turbo gasket or seal question at hand. Does the CHRA to turbine circular flange allow for infinite rotational positioning? Also, is there seals or gaskets for that flange and are they available somewhere?
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »

Ok, it has been awhile since I posted on this, and it deserves an update. I had been watching brand new vj11 CHRA assemblies on eBay and this seller from the UK is selling them, made in Latfia. I watched a while and the price had been as high as £420, but after the Brexit, I saw them for £120 ($180 delivered in 2 days). Although my used vj11 has no lateral play, there is a tiny amount of wobble if you really try to find it, and, not knowing how the seals are doing after sitting for years on a shelf, I couldn't let it pass.

I will snap some pix, but I got the old vj11CHRA off the compressor, and I have the new CHRA, so I'm going to find some fittings for the coolant. I'm liking the new CHRA, and saving the used one for a spare. I will also hunt down oil fittings and I'd like to get a new intercooler set too, but I'm busy with home renovations and the gathering is approaching fast. Oh, yeah, it's also my daily driver, so it's hard to take it out of service to do fancy fabrication for prolonged times.

BTW, unlike other types of turbos in videos, the compressor side seems to use only form-a-gasket, no O ring, and can be mounted to point in any direction (360 degree spin) as long as it will work with your intake piping and intercooler. The CHRA also seems to be clockable to suit your hoses and lines. I need to pull the shields off and look at the turbo on car to assess the issues of hybrid vj11/vj14.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 12:08:28 AM »

Could you PM a link, or post it to the website that sells these turbos? Im glad someone found a good way to get these turbos!  :D I cant wait to put some more power in my car!
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »

Sure! But keep in mind that you will need the compressor housing (aluminum) off of a 2.2l Ford Probe turbo (vj11). However, these seem to be more abundant used than the vj14. All this link is selling is the CHRA and the oil return flange gasket. You will also need some banjo bolts, crush washers, and hoses or lines to create custom oil and coolant lines, and you'll need to fabricate a new bracket for the waste gate actuator.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Turbocharger-CHRA-Core-Cartridge-Ford-Probe-2-2-GT-Mazda-626-1991-1992-108kw-/321141509784?nav=SEARCH
R. Powell
Pages: 1 [2]