TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: where and how to install a boost guage on my XR2  (Read 3113 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
where and how to install a boost guage on my XR2
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:52:14 PM »

hello all,
I want to install an aftermarket boost guage on my Xr2.  Im really wondering where i hook up the hose inside the engine bay? The rest ill figure out.thanks for any input

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
Re: where and how to install a boost guage on my XR2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:06:28 AM »

I believe you can tee the hose into any available vacuum source. Heck, you could even tee it into the line coming off the intake tube that goes to the wastegate if you want the gauge to see the same signal that the wastegate (or boost controller, if you have it hooked up) sees.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »

You want to take the boost from the manifold. That is where you want to make sure of what is going into the motor the farthest from the turbo. Tee into the signal to the boost sensor nearest the manifold.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »

Oh hey yeah, can't you just use the vacuum line that was going into the boost cutoff switch before you disconnected it electrically? ;D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:25 AM »

Oh hey yeah, can't you just use the vacuum line that was going into the boost cutoff switch before you disconnected it electrically? ;D

You can. There's also a bunch of capped fittings on the manifold that you can use.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »

thank you guys ! i think the capped fittings would be the easiest to locate, and use. sounds easy enough.   I am not sure what this part is called.. it may be the bypass air valve... it is to the right of the turbo body, a little towards the firewall, and is round in shape, with larger hoses connected to it.  I recently was checking my turbo itself, which seems to be good (no play, or binding with the turbine), but i did take off this part i am unsure about, and found some oil in it. I got as much as i could out, and reassembled everything.  Lo and behold i got my PSI back !I am not sure if that item should have oil in it ( i assume not), but where would that oil be coming from , going into the valve?     

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »

Yep  bypass/recirc valve. Likely have some blow-by forced out of the cam cover or the compressor side seal is weeping into the compressor. Next you should take off the intercooler and flush that out. Sound like there might be an accumulation of oil in there and change your pcv valve as well.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:54:10 PM »

i did remove the intercooler recently, and yes.. there was oil in it. I did change the PCV valve recently too. Thanks for the info.