TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: shes lost that mooing feeling !  (Read 6392 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
shes lost that mooing feeling !
« on: November 30, 2015, 07:06:31 AM »

Hey all !
i was hoping to get some advice from the experts ,regarding my turbo issue.  Im not making the boost it has in the very near past. dont hear the "mooing " sound like i used to.  Is this an issue that i can fix easily?  thanks for any input. 

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Re: shes lost that mooing feeling !
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »

Sounds like your bypass/recirc valve is shot and leaking. As for the mooing you can stop that(unless you like it) by taking out the restrictor in that line. Swap it out for a Bosch valve from an Audi or the like.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »

i dont mind the mooing.. without it, i know somethings wrong. Is swapping out the bypass/ recirc valve a hrd job ? is it a matter of taking the part off, and installing the new ? 
thanks azgtx

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »

It is that easy.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:13:40 PM »

im trying to find where the valve is you are referring to. Is it by chance the overboost pressure switch ?

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »

is it the valve that controls the idle (to an extent ?)

JJ

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »

Go to http://techcapri.com/

then go to http://techcapri.com/1991_Service_Manual.html

then open: Section 09 - By-Pass Air Control System (564 KB)

look at page 9-2 for location of ISC/BPA valve.

It sounds like that is what you want to try replacing.... They can be hard to come by, and super expensive if you can find them NOS...

It's related, but I'm not sure that is causing the problem. The turbo boost sensor can be problematic and not register boost properly. On one car that  part quit working, but I'm pretty sure the turbo was still operating fine. I was able to remove, then tap, blow, etc in the thing and it worked for a while longer, then died again.

from the manual:
The By-Pass Air (BPA) Control System maintains the engine idle speed quality throughout the engine's operating modes by means of the By-Pass Air Control Valve. The valve responds to engine coolant temperature only. As the engine warms up, the valve mechanically reduces the by-pass airflow from a higher cold start setting to a lower flow level at coolant temperatures of 60° Celsius (140°F) and higher, in accordance with engine demand. This action results in a smoother idle and faster engine warm-up during cold weather operation. Engine idle speed (hot engine) is adjusted at this lower flow level by means of turning the adjusting screw in the throttle body so as to admit more or less by-pass air.

The BPA Control Valve, similar to the engine thermostat, is packaged with the Idle Speed Control (ISC) as a combination unit. The BPA valve is not serviceable and must be replaced if a mulfunction occurs.

Idle speed control other than the above manual adjustments, is controlled by the ECA, acting through the Inlet Air Control (lAC) System, described in Section 10 of this manual.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »

it is the valve that is plumbed into the plastic j pipe and back into the intake pipe over the valve cover.

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

thank you guys !  i will investigate some more, and get back with ya.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »

Would anyone happen to have a video of what this 'mooing' is? I'm sure I must have it since my bypass air system is stock, but I'm not really sure what sound that would be.

Just went for a drive today. This doesn't refer to the gear whine noise, right? I'm pretty confused, haha.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:07:48 PM by NomakeWan »

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »

Hey nomakewan..
it can be described as a low moo sound , mostly when you are shifting between gears. Its very distinguishable. Not loud, but a very distinct sound.
If you dont hear it.. you may not have it .
deewoody

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »

The mooing comes from the plastic one way bleeder in the rubber hose going to the bypass valve. Squeeze the hose to find it..could be a previous owner took it out.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »

The mooing comes from the plastic one way bleeder in the rubber hose going to the bypass valve. Squeeze the hose to find it..could be a previous owner took it out.

It's actually from the BPV itself, there is a soft rubber diaphragm in it that oscillates rapidly when the air pressure between the charge pipe and the pre-turbo pipe are near equilibrium. 

It's not really noticeable on a bone stock car. When you modify the intake, particularly the air box or switch to a cone filter, the noise from it is much louder
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 03:41:07 AM »

Yeah i know this problem from my old car. A ford mondeo 2.5 v6. There is the same problem with with idle speed control valve. A bypass air controll valve.
First it sounds at shifting like an horse. After some times the aound changed so it sounds like a cow or a horn from ship.

And dont know how the bpa in the capri is build. But in my mondeo there was a little spring in it and after some times the spring begin to get softer and softer and so the bpa begin to makes noises.

With a K&N Conefilter the noise was so loud that you couldnt drive into the city without any body shows to your car

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »

It's actually from the BPV itself, there is a soft rubber diaphragm in it that oscillates rapidly when the air pressure between the charge pipe and the pre-turbo pipe are near equilibrium. 

It's not really noticeable on a bone stock car. When you modify the intake, particularly the air box or switch to a cone filter, the noise from it is much louder
That explains it. My intake is totally stock. Once I get around to modding the turbo and porting the wastegate that'll change. Maybe then I can meet this infamous cow!
Pages: [1] 2