TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exhaust Overhaul  (Read 11663 times)

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
Exhaust Overhaul
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »

Hello everyone, I'd like to see what my options are for an exhaust system on my '94 n/a. Maybe some day I will do a turbo swap on this car, so I want the exhaust to be able to handle that.
Since my engine is stock, I think I'll leave the current headers on there, and do a cat-back for now.
I'd like to do a high flow cat (anyone know where I can get one?), resonator delete, 2" piping, and stock muffler. Anybody have advice/suggestions? I need to get a new cat soon for emissions, so would like to find a high-flow.
Thanks!

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Exhaust Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:01:41 AM »

I know Summit Racing has a CC with a 2" pipe for a Capri. They also sell Magnaflow products. All the rest I've seen are the standard 1 3/4". You might try RockAuto.

I think I read some others on here talking about a 2 1/4" system. Maybe they'll chime in. I'd like to learn more about a custom exhaust for this car.

Mine was rattling bad. Since I bought another Capri I punched mine out. No emissions here. :)
It had 2 honeycomb bricks in it. I would seek out one with a single brick design for better flow.

I gave the guts to a neighbor and he recycled it and got $30. If you take the whole converter you should get around $50-$70 for this car. That helps pay for a new one.

All catalytic converters need broke in to expand the matting properly. Otherwise you risk dealing with rattling and other premature noises from it.
After installation run the car at idle until it reaches operating temperature. Continue for another 5 minutes. Then raise the rpms up to 2500 for 2 minutes. Shut the engine off and allow it to cool.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »

Yeah, Summit has high flow cats in 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 also.  They also have a tube type turbo muffler, think old style glasspack.  The Capri muffler is a little smaller than the standard aftermarket muffler and I can envision some fitment problems, but that may not really be the case.  As I like the sound of turbo mufflers and they're relatively cheap, that's what I'm going for with the tube type body..
Jack Byrd

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »

If I get the 2" cat, will I need some sort of adaptor to connect it to my stock headers/downpipe?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »

The size difference can be taken care of with an expander, the new one will probably be shorter than the original and will have to have an extension to fill in the gap.

Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »

I noticed that. That 2" is shorter, wider and appears to be welded in place. Something I would leave to the expertise of a muffler shop which can adapt anything with their shop.

I would think if you go to enlarging the exhaust you would have to do it from the header to tailpipe or you are defeating the purpose of reducing back pressure.

Stock exhaust manifolds are just that, a manifold connected to a down spout whereas headers flow free and gradually merge. I've read other threads so I know a header is available but I think it's 2 1/4".

Maybe Matt will chime in. He knows a lot about this.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »

If you want to make the cat removable, you could weld any of several types of flanges to the cat and the pipe.  I agree with you that to get the most of the modification, the entire system needs to be done.   Matt says he has heard that 2nd gen Probe 2.0L FS headers will fit with some modifications.  The ports work, but the holes don't line up.  Rework the holes and you're good to go?  Even if the collector is 2 1/4", you could reduce the rest of the system to keep the flow velocity up.  For years V8 headers had 3" collectors with reducers included.

Jack Byrd

Jack Byrd

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »

Would I really need a larger manifold for the stock 1.6 n/a? I don't plan on modifying this engine, but since I have to replace my cat anyway, I figure I may as well prepare for a potential turbo swap in the future.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »

Won't hurt anything.
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 08:18:33 PM »

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-23347/overview/year/1992/make/mercury/model/capri Says it’s a direct fit and has a 2 inch inlet.

The most restrictive parts in the oem exhaust is the cat and the muffler. So I would say if you’re going to replace the cat, you may as replace the piping and muffler too for not too much more.

I personally wouldn’t bother with headers on a 1.6L N/A. The small gain vs cost and hassle just don’t seem worth it, especially if you plan on boosting and you’ll just end up having to replace it again anyhow.

I just redid my exhaust last year. I used 2.25 inch mandrel bent pipe, magnaflow cat, 22 inch long resonator, and a dynaflow turbo muffler. I tig welded it together and installed flanges in front of the cat to connect to the header so I can reuse my exhaust with my planned V6 swap. I also added another set of flanges exiting the muffler to the tailpipe so if I need to drop the exhaust again (to deal with the shifter rods), the rear crossmember won’t be an issue for me. I used stainless for everything except for the muffler (aluminized steel)so I should never have to worry about it for a long time.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 09:25:54 AM »

Were you able to tell any improvement in power or does it just sound better?

Jack
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »

There was a performance improvement over the tiny stock exhaust.  I was able to improve my quarter mile time on average by .3 of a second.  Overall that computes out to about 7-8hp increase at the crank and the only reason I even gained that much due to the larger engine and other mods already done.

If my stock exhaust wasn’t falling apart, I wouldn’t have bothered putting a new one on until my next engine upgrade.  But since I was in need of new muffler and price for a walker one was going to cost nearly $150, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and upgrade. Total cost for everything after recycling my old cat was a little under $300, which improves performance, sound, and will hopefully last as long as the car does.

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »

$300 is a great overall price, I hope to be in that range as well.
Sidenote, the 1994 models don't have OBDII, right?
I'm trying to choose between these cats:
http://www.carid.com/magnaflow/pre-obdii-catalytic-converter-mpn-53004.html

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2200120

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »

Thanks Chris.  That sounds like a very cost effective improvement.  I haven't had any other mods, but am also going to need a new exhaust system, I'm thinking a 2 1/4" high flow system and maybe a header.  Glad to know it provides an improvement that you can feel.

Jack
Jack Byrd

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »

All Capri models are OBDI (if you can even call it that; there's a huge difference between the 'data' you get from a Capri and the data you'll get from, say, an early 90s Subaru), so you're fine there. OBDII wasn't really until '96.
Pages: [1] 2