TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to Install Aftermarket Radio?  (Read 13678 times)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: How to Install Aftermarket Radio?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »

If it's hot all the time then that would just be the stereo memory and clock. It wouldn't interfere with the stereo powering up and playing unless you have the B+ and ignition hot wired backwards. The ignition hot and ground wire should be your immediate concern. You are better off using a chassis ground which helps reduce interference from the distributor. Make sure you are dealing with a good ground.
All aftermarket stereos I've installed over the years from numerous manufactures require the yellow B+, red IGN, and the black ground to operate. The B+ wire provides more than memory and clock, it's the primary power source for the stereo. The IGN wire is just a signal wire to turn the stereo on. There should be no need to run a new ground wire. The ground provided for the stereo is pretty good  because  it's not shared by any other components and it's short in length because it connects to the chassis just below the stereo.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:57:01 AM by chrispoe »

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

According to the wiring diagrams the radio is fed off the 80 amp Main fuse under the hood (block diagram shows different, 30 amp Head fuse), regardless it's still the yellow wire and fuse #12 which is a blue 15 amp fuse under the dash for your ignition hot which is your main concern. Black wire is ground.
The 80A main fuse is for the alternator output and the ignition switch. Kellsonm posted earlier that he had voltage on the yellow/black Ign wire so we know the main fuse is fine. As for the block diagram showing the 30A Head fuse, this would be for the illumination of old stock unit and is not required for operation of new stereo.

kellsonm

• 1994 Mercury Capri
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the help with this, electrical stuff is never fun. I followed the yellow wire back into the dash a bit and found an inline fuse, that was blown. I don't know if that fuse is stock or if it was added by the previous owner, but the new radio works great now! Thanks again!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »

That'd be a user- added piece.

They're really screw with even the best troubleshooters sometimes :D

My red XR2 I had no spark - turned out someone installed a anti-theft switch under the dash with speaker wire, inline with the ignition coil. I casually removed it as I thought it was not used while working under the dash, but turns out it kept the car from starting. Threw me for a loop for several days, ripping my hair out! I was nearly ready to replace the whole engine harness.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 07:35:07 AM »

That would definitely do it. I was looking at stereos yesterday. Is a double DIN do-able? Cut the trim?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »

That would definitely do it. I was looking at stereos yesterday. Is a double DIN do-able? Cut the trim?

I'm getting ready to do mine also when I get it running again.  Will have to fab a mount, but there seems to be plenty of room.  Jensen has units that are reasonably priced and have what is supposed to be an excellent nav system, you have to buy maps annually, but I thinks that's the norm.  None of the units I have seen have any watts, so I guess you also have to have an amp.  I already have an under seat sub like the Kicker Hideaway and am going to look into 6X9 three ways for the back without making it intrusive.  Do we have a sticky for sound systems?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »

I have a Kenwood in my 91 but I want some power in my 94. I saw a double DIN Pioneer I really liked. But then again I was recently re-introduced to a friends new Blaupunkt and I was very impressed at the sound quality. Since I never will use the back seat I'm thinking about Batman bubbles, remove and trim the back seat area to house the amp and rear speakers.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 09:33:54 AM »

I have a Kenwood in my 91 but I want some power in my 94. I saw a double DIN Pioneer I really liked. But then again I was recently re-introduced to a friends new Blaupunkt and I was very impressed at the sound quality. Since I never will use the back seat I'm thinking about Batman bubbles, remove and trim the back seat area to house the amp and rear speakers.

I refuse to spend more for a head unit than I gave for the car.  Doing the same for used wheels and tires was bad enough.

Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:07 AM »

Part of restoring an old car is going back in time. That means the stereo and wheels/tires cost more, lol. I remember back in high school I had Cragars and the top of the line Alpine stereo to replace my Craig 8-track. Any car was cool then. I laugh at kids today that do the same thing.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »

yeah, $1000 car with a $3000 sound system and subs bigger than the wheels.

Jack
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 [2]