TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Need help with vj11/tbird hybrid  (Read 6431 times)

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
Need help with vj11/tbird hybrid
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »

Im looking to build the vj11 tbird hybrid, and yes i have already read rockets treatsie turbo post. I have located a whole vj11 unit and a whole tbird unit, i plan on sending both of them to a turbo shop and having them rebuild and assemble the hybrid. Can i use the vj14 chra? or do i have to use the 11 or tbird? also do i retain any parts of the stock turbo for this build? and what turbine wheel and compressor housing do i use? i would appreciate it if someone could provide me with a detailed write up i could then send to the shop thats going to do my rebuild  :)

Chicken

Re: Need help with vj11/tbird hybrid
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »

Use the Tbird Compressor an Housing, the VJ14 CHRA (easiest for stock plumbing) and VJ14 Turbine housing. 

Or for more turbo lag AND more top end power use the VJ11 Turbine Housing. Then you have to decide if you want to match the VJ14 Exhaust Outlet hole pattern or have a new pipe made for between the VJ11 Exhaust Outlet and the Catalytic Converter.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

cjizzle252

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »

so at no point do i ever have to swap turbine wheels?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »

Use the Tbird Compressor an Housing, the VJ14 CHRA (easiest for stock plumbing) and VJ14 Turbine housing. 

Or for more turbo lag AND more top end power use the VJ11 Turbine Housing. Then you have to decide if you want to match the VJ14 Exhaust Outlet hole pattern or have a new pipe made for between the VJ11 Exhaust Outlet and the Catalytic Converter.

You do not really want to use the VJ14 turbine housing. It's a severe flow restriction. It's like attaching a garden hose to a fire engine, hence the reason to go with the wider VJ11 turbine housing when using the Tbird compressor.

The turbine wheel is one piece with the shaft, you can't unbolt it like you can with the compressor wheels. The turbine wheels are all exactly the same IIRC.
You can use the Vj14 CHRA, but you'd ideally get it balanced by the turbo shop. Using the TBird CHRA means no dis-assembly of sensitive parts, or screwing with balance, but the oil/coolant locations/fittings are slightly different enough to have to get a bit creative.

Here's how the turbo will look:

VJ11 Turbine Housing | Tbird CHRA | Tbird compressor wheel and housing

If you decide to use the VJ14 CHRA:

VJ11 Turbine Housing | VJ14 CHRA | Tbird compressor wheel and housing

If you have both the 11 and tbird sitting in front of you, AND the tbird is in good shape, it's as simple as unbolting the tbird turbine housing and slapping the 11's on it. That's it. Ehh, I guess you'd have to mess with the wastegate actuator a bit, but thats neccesary for any hybrid

Chicken is right about the dump pipe, the VJ11's is a different bolt pattern (they look the same, they are not) You'll need to come up with a solution for that. (I welded up my own custom downpipe to fit the VJ11 dump pipe)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

cjizzle252

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »

ok i think im pretty comfortable with the hybrid concept now, and should be able to mavgyver something for the the down pipe flange, doesnt look to hard. but what are my options for the tbird compressor housing inlet? does anyone have the exact size, or a j pipe that will fit? just so i know what kind of piping to run from MAF to turbo

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »

Get the inlet adapter for the tbird compressor from Matt..he makes them. Don't expect your boost to come in until after 2500 rpm's with the VJ11 turbine. Actually the better hybrid for the 1.6 is the 14/11...another question for you. What are you going to use for engine management and fueling when you slap the bigger turbo on and what are you doing for the intake and exhaust system now that you are planning to shove a whole bunch more air through the motor? I didn't see any reference to the important stuff.

cjizzle252

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

The slight more spool time is fine with me. As for supporting upgrades im doing 2.5 inch intake plumbing all the way through, mishimoto z line intercooler, hks blow off valve, porting the throttle body, porting the head, porting the wastgate, possibly mild intake cam to even out the duration with the stock exhaust cam, 2.25-2.5 inch exhaust from elbow straight through no cat to a high flow muffler (probably flowmaster). For fuel im sending matt my ecu for a chip and im doing a wallbro 255 and a fuel pump rewire, with all ive have read on here of thats just enough to run the tbird at around 16psi iirc

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »

Well that about covers it.

Chicken

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:48:29 PM »

I agree the 14/11 is usually better.  Different downpipe all together will go a very long way!

I think with your do to list, your car may like the 11/TB. Aluminum flywheel and 12lb rims ftw.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

cjizzle252

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »

ok so i finally finished my build, i took the whole tbird i got off ebay and just attatched the vj11 turbine housing, and of course the tbird chra is shot, it blows oil out of everywhere, so im going to take everything back out and use my vj14 chra since its only got 90k on it and it held 16psi flawlessly before i took it out
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:59:35 AM by cjizzle252 »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »

Man, that sucks.

See if there is a turbo shop in your area that can do balancing for you. Throw the Tbird compressor wheel & housing on the VJ14 CHRA, and get it balanced.

I have your inlet adapter finished, if you still need it.

cjizzle252

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »

do i absolutely have to get it balanced? i was hoping to just swap wheels then bolt the housings up and slap her in, since my 14 only has 90k on it and is in good shape

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »

Theoretically they don't as each individual part is balanced, but really they *should* be balanced. They'll static balance it as an assembly, then spin it up on a special machine and dynamically balance it

Josh (1992xr2 i think here) built a 14/11 without balancing it and did not have any issues.

I built a Tbird hybrid with a 16T wheel upgrade and made an awful noise, it definitely needs balanced. So. Your mileage may vary, but personally I probably won't try that again without having it balanced