TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: advice on boost valve upgrade  (Read 2529 times)

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
advice on boost valve upgrade
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »

hey guys, new to team capri. I just bought a 91 xr2 a few weeks ago and im looking to tune her up a bit, ive been reading alot on here and im looking to install an aftermarket boost valve to start, ive already removed the airbox, and plan on swapping the exhaust soon for something less restrictive. all advice, tips, and pointer are welcome, thanks.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: advice on boost valve upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

Im assuming you put in a cone filter or something similar in place of the airbox?

Opening up the exhaust will help a lot, look to go 2.25" or 2.5"

Keep in mind your boost will start to creep with an opened intake & exhaust, more so when you replace the intercooler & pre-turbo intake pipe. Porting the wastegate on the turbo will help curb this, but it's a decent amount of work to remove the turbo to port it.

You'll want to keep the boost under 10psi until you get a chipped ECU or alternative method of fuel management.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »

im running an open MAF with a sock slid over it for a filter lol, works pretty well for now until i get something legit. and i plan on running around 9 psi with the controller, untill i port the wastegate and do the exhaust/intake etc.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »

Put your air box back on, and drill some holes in the bottom of it. You have a turbo engine, you run a very high risk of ingesting foreign materials and ruining the turbocharger & the engine itself.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"