TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 2518 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
Exhaust
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »

I took my car to a friend of a friend who owns a shop that specializes in high European car service work (first mistake).  I just wanted him to give the car a once over and tell me what work needs to be done (2nd mistake).  We put the car on the lift (flanked by a Porsche and a Ferrari) and he says "I can't help you - I don't do rust".  He says "I wouldn't put another dime into the car.  Keep oil in it and drive it til it dies". 

Here's what we/I saw.  The car has a relatively new torque converter.  New timing belt and water pump.  It has an exhaust leak on the outlet side of the cat.  The inlet connection side to the cat looks tenuous as well.  The oil pan has been dented/pushed and there is a small oil leak in that area.  The oil pan needs to be replaced and resealed.  In order to remove the oil pan, I have to discount a very rusty exhaust pipe (downpipe?).  The mechanic says he would be scared to touch it because the whole pipe could crumble and - as he said - he doesn't do rust. 

It also appears that the rear brake line (high pressure line at rear of car) is rusty. 

Much as I don't like the automatic, I really like this car and I'm not willing to let it go to hell.  In the next breath, I'm not interested in compromising my retirement account to keep her afloat. 

How should I address the exhaust and brake line issue? 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »

Rusted exhaust does not = rust ???

Is there rocker or frame rust?

Brake lines can be replaced, that should be addressed. The downpipe won't crumble, but the studs where it bolts to the manifold may be a bit of a problem. How bad is the oil leak on the pan?

It really sounds to me like this particular gentleman just does not want to work on your car.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »

Yep.  Nice enough guy but not doing backflips to tackle the Capri. 

The car came south from the Cleveland area a couple of years ago.  I don't see much sign of rust on the frame and rockers.  Oil leak isn't bad at all.  More of an annoyance than anything but something that I would like to get fixed. 

I should know this by now but what cars have exhaust components that interchange with the 91 NA? 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »

I don't think there is anything else that interchanges.

If you go with a header or custom exhaust you can replace the downpipe with new pieces.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"