TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Door Locks Jammed, Need Advice  (Read 2031 times)

ReedStemen

• '91 Capri
Door Locks Jammed, Need Advice
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »

The plastic spring loaded covers are now broke in both of my door locks. Is this a common problem? Any advice on fixing this issue? Both key locks currently don't work and I need to be able to lock/unlock my car. Thanks for help.
-Reed

blueamber

Re: Door Locks Jammed, Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »

I guess I don't know what a plastic spring loaded cover is.  There are no springs associated with the locks.  If you mean the push/pull tabs at the top of the door to manually lock/unlock the door, then they don't usually break unless someone really torques on them because the lock mechanism is jammed????

I know in the 91's, the power door lock in the passenger door can get rusty and stop operating, preventing the key or the push tab from locking or unlocking.

If the key doesn't work in either door, and it used to work in both doors, and you haven't had a new key made that doesn't work quite right, you'll need to pull the interior door panels and spray lubricant on the lock mechanism, then get some movement by exercising the key, or with a screwdriver to try to manually move the lock and help free it up...good luck...Chris

ReedStemen

• '91 Capri
Re: Door Locks Jammed, Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »

There are tiny plastic spring loaded weather covers inside of the key mechanism itself, I'm assuming to keep water and the elements out of the mechanisms. Both of the covers broke and I have plastic chunks in the tumbler and this jams up my key. I took a tiny pic today and got most of the chunks out of the passenger side so it works now, but I don't trust it. My driver side tumbler has the chunks lodged deep. Might just pull them and have a lock smith fix it.
-Reed