TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Convertible Top Frame Questions  (Read 2624 times)

blchicago

• 1991 Capri, xTerra, Sonic
Convertible Top Frame Questions
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »

We are restoring a 1991 Capri. Picture should be attached, do you think this can be repaired? Or do I need a new frame? Thanks in advance for your time.
We are having problems posting a picture, can you give us a crash course? for now we will just send a hyperlink from Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121740145@N05/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:08:16 PM by blchicago »

Chicken

Re: Convertible Top Frame Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

I don't see any unfixable problem from your picture. 

Get the manual from techcapri.com

That vinyl rib piece will be on the replacement top.  The cables look usable.  Sometimes the sheathing/housig around the cable cracks near the back of that vinyl rib and in front of that vinyl rib before the lower swivels. The hinged bar just behind the door glass is where the lower swivels install.  The swivels abe broken.  Sets are available on ebay for around $30.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

Chicken's right.  I am a novice and I just replaced an old top that had almost identical conditions.  In my case the convertible top supplier was able to provide the hardware to make the repair. 

As the folks out here will probably agree, these cars provide plenty of spirited challenges from time to time - what you're dealing with now shouldn't be one of them! 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

blchicago

• 1991 Capri, xTerra, Sonic
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the broken piece in the picture would come with the top. I saw a few pictures of new top, and I was afraid would have to locate the rubber rib piece separately. I'll take a closer look at the manual. Very helpful. Thanks again.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:13:44 PM »

Yup, it's part of the top. Plan on replacing the cables though, and it's possible that the swivel retainers inside the frame will need to be replaced as well (the threaded end of the cable fits into them)

No major issues otherwise
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"