TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Focus Seat swap  (Read 3520 times)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
Focus Seat swap
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »

So I picked up some Focus dark gray leather seats for a great price.  They included the Focus mounting brackets and sliders.  I've taken off the Focus mounting brackets because they clearly were not compatible and I now have seats that are on flat sliders (rails).  I am thinking about running a piece of angled steel or aluminum between the existing (removed) front seat mounts, bore the steel/aluminum to mate to existing front seat mount holes and then mount the new sliders to the steel/aluminum.   Questions:  Does that sound reasonable?  Will it look like ass? (if so, is there anyway to make it not look so?)  Is there a better (low tech) method? 
The seats will fit in the seat wells, but the Focus sliders don't match the Capri sliders or mounts.   
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Focus Seat swap
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »

I've been stuck in the same boat, I was given a set of both Honda and Mazda MX3 seats. My red capri needed seats.

It's really just a major PITA. I tried swapping sliders, no good. I tried welding new nuts into the mount points, and my welder was giving me fits and the metal is really thin. I tried several options but gave up as I was on a tight on time, ended up grabbing seats from my GTXR2 temporarily.

You can remove the stock Capri sliders, make some brackets, and mount the bare seats on top of them.

I haven't seen the focus sliders, but you could perhaps use them & make brackets to fit the chassis. As long as they're well built I don't see a problem with that. Hiding them under carpet or painting to match can help reduce their visual impact

Good luck, post pictures!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »

I took the stock capri seats and sliders out and set the focus seats and sliders in the wells and they fit like a dream!  Just perfect.  They look great!!  All I need now is to compress my spine about 4 inches and I'll be set!

Here's the deal.  The focus seats are about one-half of an inch higher than ours - no big deal.  However, the focus sliders are spaced about 20 inches apart (ours are 16.5 or so).  Because of the tapering of the floorpan and the seat mounting ridges, the extra three to four inch spread causes the sliders to be "perched" higher on the mounting ridge than the stock sliders.  The net effect is about a 3 inch height gain.  Although the convertible top easily clears the seat headrest, this occupant has to hunch down to get in and out.  I replaced the stock seats and am going to customize a bracket to fit our sliders (per your suggestion).
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:45:09 AM »

Awesome! I want to see how they fit, i'm gonna beg for pictures!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

ShaneOss

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »

I had a friend do the same with his recently. He put the Recaro Focus seats in and they do sit a lot higher when compared to ours.

There's pics on my website of it: http://myconvertiblecapri.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=-481#top_display_media (first one in picture)

Also some nice pics of our 4 Clubby's :) The picture album is from our recent get together away for the weekend in Forster AU.
Shane
http://myconvertiblecapri.com
1992 Tickford SC Clubsprint (Black)

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:49 AM »

I ended up coming across a couple of Mazda Protégé seats in great condition.   *Almost* a direct fit.  I sheared off the mounting brackets on the Protégé seats, ran a strip of 2" heavy duty "L shaped" aluminum  between the left and right front mounts and a flat piece between the left and right rear mounts.  Bolted the seats to the aluminum and bolted the aluminum to the floor using the existing mounting bolts and insets.  The seats are a little bigger, a little lighter and much more comfortable.  As soon as the sun reappears, I'll take some pictures. 

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »

I'll be adding some new chairs as well pretty soon.  I'm thinking about some Sparco racing seats with 4 point harnesses.  I'll post pictures as I get the project started!