TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Air Bag concern with Bumper Removal??  (Read 3870 times)

CapriProject

Air Bag concern with Bumper Removal??
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »

I would like to hear from someone who has removed their front bumper as to what needs to be 'watched-out-for' reguarding the Air Bag system. I don't want to set it off by screwing-up some sensor. (Non-Turbo '91 Capri)  Thanks

Surfnut

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »

I'm no expert but when I pulled the front fascia off my '91 Turbo there was nothing to it - with the exception of a lot of rusted bolts which ended up breaking off.

I don't recall any airbag stuff attached to the fascia.  I'm pretty sure those sensors are attached to the frame/body shell.

Dave

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

The sensors are all inside the body.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriProject

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

Great... Thanks.
I won't have to take it easy when I remove the plastic front parts.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »

The plastic will not come off by itself, the whole bumper assembly must be removed.

Its 3x or 4x 13mm bolts on each side of the bumper stanchions, and i think 2x 10mm bolts on each side which fasten the plastic to the fender. Start soaking the side bolts in penetrant now, they bolt into clips on the inner plastics, and any bit of resistance or rust will tear them out of the plastic.

Once you get the whole assembly off, you'll see the 3 studded strips along the top that hold the bumper cover on. Those could probably use soaking too, if they're rusty.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriProject

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »

Thanks for the details & suggestions. Because I'm totally modifing the front end of this project I'm not saving (or re-installing) the stock front body piece (or even the stock lights). I've removed & trashed the rear plastic body parts, I figured the front would be simular but was concerned about any 'air-bag' sensors that might have been there.  Sounds like "smooth sailing" as far as removal.

rcdraco

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »

Only thing to really watch for with the airbag sensors is that if you washer fluid leaks, there's a sensor right under it.  That's what made my code start.  

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »

if your gonna mount a FMIC, the sensors will have to come out, at least mine did.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

CapriProject

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »

"...mount a FMIC..."  What's that?

Surfnut

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »

I would guess "Front Mounted Intercooler" ?

Dave

CapriProject

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »

...Intercooler... Oh, well that's for a turbo model & mine is just a regular Capri.
While I was still tinkering with the (now modified) trunk area I re-located the battery. Wow, the engine compartment looks so empty now (well not exacty empty). As HOT as it gets here in Texas in the summer I figured I'd help the battery to survive longer by moving it. The next step on this project is to remove the front body work/bumper.   "FUN-FUN-FUN"

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »

I didn't know your car was N. A. I have removed the entire front end on my car numerous times, the hardest part is the litle nuts that go in the sides of the plastic part. They strip easially. Very hard to replace, mine is actually running only on one side now. If you go back into the photo section, I believe, and find Joes car, (rcicustoms)", he uses a rather unusual way of mounting his. Eliminates alot of wieght and unneccessary bolts. utilizing the old style hood hold downs I think.
Good Luck
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart