TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: poping sound  (Read 9794 times)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »

Hey Yuri! Did you find bushings? If not, There appears to be a new set on Ebay. At the moment it's at $7.00 Gus.

Cod5y

poping sound
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »

hey i think i am having the same problem.  it makes a popping/clank sound on the drivers side just as i come to a stop....i have no clue how to do the bushings if thats what it is.  any idea how much this would be at a shop?

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

the photos are no longer working..

which ones do i need to check?

i get a popping sound right under me a lot now too
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
poping sound
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

and mine pops the same way... under accel and braking conditions... for the longest time i thought it was the axles....so i put new partshouse axles in.... and it still did it... so i had P&S transmissions here in lexington build me two hardened axles with BF knuckles and and BG cups...it still did it.... so i said if its gonna break its gonna break...

until i got on here, and now it all makes sense... the foward and back movement puts the worn bushings into a bind and when they come out of the bind it pops... whoever figured this out needs some much deserved kudos....

Heres one for ya...ever park the car and get out then like 3 mins later have it pop ? like its settling in its parking space ????   mine does about every time i park... ill get out and light a cigarette and a few moments pass then out of nowhere.... pop...  so yes.. finally i know what the popping is ...thanks whoever figured it out....

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

and mine pops the same way... under accel and braking conditions... for the longest time i thought it was the axles....so i put new partshouse axles in.... and it still did it... so i had P&S transmissions here in lexington build me two hardened axles with BF knuckles and and BG cups...it still did it.... so i said if its gonna break its gonna break...

until i got on here, and now it all makes sense... the foward and back movement puts the worn bushings into a bind and when they come out of the bind it pops... whoever figured this out needs some much deserved kudos....

Heres one for ya...ever park the car and get out then like 3 mins later have it pop ? like its settling in its parking space ????   mine does about every time i park... ill get out and light a cigarette and a few moments pass then out of nowhere.... pop...  so yes.. finally i know what the popping is ...thanks whoever figured it out....

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

sorry, my POS puter posted twice....

220hp@18psi

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »

mine seems to do like yours, slow turns, stopping like you. mine just starting doing it. i noticed it after i got a new cat on so i just thought it was that not welded good. i checked the welds and no broke off. so it has to be that..but i need photos so i know what ones to look at and change..
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

Hey Gost! If you've noticed the different post from the forum, there can be several problems making that noise. I would want to say the ones with the control bushings and tie rod ends had also steering problems that weren't noted in the posts or just weren't noticed at all. Jack up the front end totally and do some yanking on the wheels in different directions, this should show worn bushings. A wheel that is loose when car is on ground is either tie-rod ends or steering box. I'm sure you know these but sometimes we need reminders when things happen to ourselves.  Gus

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »

steering seems fine..just the damn popping sounds.

my wife suggested that i lose weight..LOL
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
poping sound
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 03:33:00 AM »

Hey Gost! Try looking at the seams of uni-body. Mine was found by accident while changing out an axle and carrier bearing on the passenger side. There was about 1/8inch movement going on. There are many possibilities.  Gus.

JackRobot

poping sound
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »

I also have a sort of clunk when putting a load on the motor, I found that my trans mount had started coming apart where the rubber meets the metal. Could possibly be another reason for the popping, I'm going to check the control arm bushings, and other mentioned info as well.
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Project car
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Daily driver
1986.5 Nissan Hardbody project minitruck

yen

poping sound
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

Popping after you've parked the car? Might be due to thermal expansion/contraction. Just a possibility.
When I had a popping sound when driving I thought I broke a CV shaft. Whilst it was on the hoist getting replaced the strut tops failed!
You know that black cap looking part above the shock absorber? the only thing holding your front struts to the car are a bunch of ball bearings. No joke! The strut top comes as one piece, (bearing pressed into cast iron housing)
Eventually over time the bearing casing deteriorates leaving the little bb's run free within its former confines, independant of strut fixing.
Just another possibility  =)
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

Colorado1

poping sound
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »

Has anybody had success after replacing the bushings? I don't want to buy axles if it's bushings & visa versa. After owning a '92 for a couple weeks I've replaced the ball joints, tie rod end, rotted out sway bar links, new struts, pads, and slotted rotors just for safety reasons. Exact same popping sound. Can't find any loose body joints, but do need CV boots. First things first though. I keep the costs down by doing my own work. Need more responses to the end results of these posts please. I'll check back often.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
poping sound
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »

Replacing the control arm bushings would be cheaper than replacing both axles. The pedders set cost ~$100 when I replaced mine, though its a pretty involved install process.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

poping sound
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »

Thanks Rocketman, I was only going to replace the P. side axle where the noise comes from. Looked all over for the bushings-naturally expensive since they aren't around. Noticed the same bolt insert # for a 87-89 topaz(or tracer)was the same but called TRW to check part #'s on the bushings & they won't work. Noticed the other side has been done since the metal is slightly pulled down on the access hole. I'll lube the heck out of it & wait a few then do it again. I know there has to be a ton of interchangeables on these. Bro. had a couple GTX's until he had to get things like a tranny from the Ukraine or something. I'll post after I get this done so others can see if it works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3