TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 91 XR2 build thread (SIQ XR2)  (Read 18884 times)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
91 XR2 build thread (SIQ XR2)
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

Hey ICU!  I would have to imagine the larger injectors did help save you. Don't chance it anymore, Melted piston happened to me. I was lucky as a complete fresh motor showed up on Ebay at that time. $605 to my door from Texas and about two months of hemming and hawing; Janis was back on the road. She runs strong ready to stretch her legs when a competitor sneers at her.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »

it did ... its just like cheap turbo of a civic...we've had the civic we built at 16psi with a stock computer and just the 300cc injectors.. we had turned the fuel pressure up 15psi or so and we were lean as all get out but didnt pop it due to the extra fuel...

i also ran my capri, on the first engine, back a few years ago... before i put the ecu in the car
at arround 14psi with nothing but a walbro pump.
so there again i had no idea how lean it was. i didnt realize the car couldnt do over 12 stock
and drove for months on 14psi... the damn thing was quick, but thats prolly what started the downfall of the first engine....

aah, hindsight is 20/20, and if i hadnt blew the first one at 21psi with stock injectors... i wouldnt have built the high compression...  :D

220hp@18psi

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »

Hey RCI! It's an old story. That's why I hound newbies about the AFR gauge when they start talking mods. I don't want to see others go through what I've been through.  Gus

icurunnin

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »

well my next thing on the list is a wideband but I got the guy with the hardtop to take $225 so I am torn between the two. with winter coming I am leaning towards the top for now and just keep the boost at 17psi with my rocketchip.

once I get a bigger turbo I will get the wideband then. I know these injectors are good for the maximum amount of boost this turbo can dish out. Just my .02
3 92 Galant VR-4\\\'s = sold
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
92 Saturn SL2 turbo = burned (haters)
3 95 TSI AWD talons = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

yeah, there\\\'s more....

I have commitment issue\\\'s with cars

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »

Hey ICU!  Get the hard-top!   Gus

icurunnin

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »

I plan to. I am going to try and meet up with him tomorrow some time and throw that bad boy on. He said he has the special wrench too.
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

id get the top and wait on the wideband....
if you run under 18psi, and already have 390cc injectors on any vj turbo your fine....
when you go over 400cfm with the turbo you need to know whats going on... and even then put a fuel pump on it ... and monitor whats up, and you will be fine...

hey, ive been meaning to ask ,did you ever do a fuel pump re-wire???  any difference in performance, or change at all???

220hp@18psi

icurunnin

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »

I bought the hardtop yesterday and its in decent shape. It has a few small dings on top but it has to be painted anyway so they can fix all that. The headliner is hanging too. Nothing to major for the price I guess.

and Joe, I did not do the fuel pump re-wire as of yet. With the 390's installed I highly doubt I need the extra fuel. Once I get the intercooler, and exhaust done and 17 psi then maybe I will look into then. going to get the wideband and if I start to lose fuel up top I will throw in the walboro and if I still need more fuel I will do the re-wire.

I have a million other things I want/need to get done before I worry about not having enough fuel.
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »

Dude- that is sweet, lots of good info and pics! I can't tell you how excited I am to start this build. The guy I got it from really did a fantastic job on keeping it original and clean. I'm gonna drop it, put some sweet rubber on it, put the body kit on it, and make it fast. I will keep taking pictures also.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

icurunnin

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »

thanks for the compliment. I have some more to upload today.
I am at my daughters game right now but will upload the pics later today. I am installing my LoTek dual gauge pillar pod at the moment. Also have to change out my distributor cap and rotor.
found that my cap is in worse shape then I thought. It has lots of corrosion and a few cracks inside. thats probably the reason my car starts to break up sometimes at 14psi on the top end.

we will see soon and I will load those pics of the pillar pod as well.
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

icurunnin

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

Here are what changes I have made. Not to bad for $58 shipped and painted to match. You can buy one for $8 less if you wanted it in plain black.

It fits tight to the dash but I dont mind considering how o.e. it looks.

89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

icurunnin

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »

Just did a little ugrade to the stock fog lights. I did this to my old Saturns and didnt have to use the headlights at all. All you have to do is remove the deflector inside the housing and put it all back together.

As you can see there is a big difference between the two.
tabs to bend out to remove the deflector

stock fog light. notice how dark it is on the body of the car verses the upgrade.

upgrade with deflector removed

89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

Does that gauge pod fit over the OEM piece or does in replace it ergo the holes and pins? Looks like it would work on the 323 also
Thanks
Clay

icurunnin

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »

I left my stock panel off and it still rubs the dash a little so I would say it goes on alone. It came with a instruction set that said some light sanding may need to be done to get it to fit 100% but I was just in a rush to mount my boost gauge and threw it on.

Once I get the wideband in I am going to take my time putting it together so it fits better and doesnt rub the dash. Their work is grade A in my book considering how cheesy it would look buying those generic ones and mounting them to the stock plastic.
89 I-Mark RS = sold
91 Impulse RS = sold
93 TSI AWD talon = sold
89 Colt GT = sold
91 Capri XR2 = sold

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 06:37:00 AM »

Hey ICU! On that pillar pod, where did you get it. It appears to accept two different gauge sizes. We had a forum member about three years ago do a group buy. Gus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5