TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Remote trunk release  (Read 2717 times)

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Remote trunk release
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »

I did a quick search, but I can't find any posts about installing a remote trunk release in our cars. I see that MidCo had sold one before, but was wondering if anyone has installed one and if so, what part did you use? I don't necessarily want a power one, although that would be nice. I am lazy by nature and would sure like to be able to pop the trunk without getting out of the car. LOL Any insight would be great!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Remote trunk release
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »

It's been on my list of things to do for a while now. I think if you go to the junkyard and pull an actuator from just about any car, with a little handy-work it could probably be fitted. I'm also not interested in having a wirelress/remote, but a disreect little pushbutton would be nice. (even somewhere like just inside the glovebox, exactly like on my Grand Prix) Would be very simple to wire.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll check the junkyard next time i go and see what I can find.

Most universal kits would probably work too, the linkage can be accessed under the trim panel (coincidently that's also how you can break into the trunk of a capri that you dont have a trunk key for...)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tonlaw71

• Administrator
Remote trunk release
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »

I'll keep a lookout, also. What trim panel are you referring to? I think inside the glove box would be great. Even down by the driver's seat would work for me. Is there a way to attach the end of the cable to the trunk latch or would a hole need to be drilled? I haven't really looked at it too close yet, just thought it would be awful convenient.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Remote trunk release
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »

There's the op-rod from the lock mechanism that runs to the latch itself, I need to look at it closely - But I imagine hooking the cable from the electric actuator to the oprod, or to the lever that it acts on will work. Might have to drill a hole, but I imagine a simle little clamp might work as well.

The trim panel across the top rear beam of the trunk, right above the tailights.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
Remote trunk release
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »

Gotcha. Gonna take a closer look this morning when I get off work. I'll take some pics and maybe we can puzzle out how to get it done.

Has anyone else actually done this successfully? Don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Remote trunk release
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

I have one of MidCos kits......Haven't gotten around to installing it, though. I'll try to dig it out of the barn today and shoot some pictures!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Remote trunk release
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »

Here's the rod / linkage you'll be working with:  

-Rocket

JThw8

Remote trunk release
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »

Based on my general knowledge of remote "poppers" you should easily be able to connect an actuator to that rod as long as there is room to mount it.

If you are getting one from a junkyard vehicle (any power lock actuator should work) just determine if it pushes or pulls and if it uses a rod or cable.

Great, now you all have me thinking of more things to do to my car.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
Remote trunk release
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »

Well, I found a kit for $15. Seems like a small price to pay to see if I can make it work. I guess I'll go ahead and order it and let you all know if it works!