TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Temp Sensor  (Read 2886 times)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Temp Sensor
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »

Hey Rocket! I've got a problem. My silver car(Janis), Has a stutter between 2000 and 3000rpm under light throttle. This is when engine is up temp. When it is cool, no problem. I've had this awhile. I've tried changing componets back and forth from other cars that are running fine with no luck. About the only thing I can think of that hasn't been changed is a temp sensor under the intake. This sensor supposedly sends a signal to the ECU. Do you think this is a possibility? I ask because it looks like a lot of work getting to this little beast.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Temp Sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

yea the water temp sender in the back is a pita...
 but yea its the one that sends signal to the ecu...the other two smaller ones where the upper radiator hose meets the head, are for the cooling fan relay (black blade connector)
 and the water temperature guage (pin connector in the back) and neither one of those would cuase a stumble as there not related to engine running performance... so yea you gotta do the dirty deed and change the pita one... if that dosent work, is your o2 good?? if the ecu dosent know if its lean or rich (o2 sensor) it inherintly will run rich and could cuase a stumble ... are you sure its not missing??

220hp@18psi

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Temp Sensor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

What ECU are you running? Are you monitoring AFR?

condition of the plugs/cap/rotor?

I dont think its the temp sensor. I've never had a problem with one. And yea they are a major pain to replace.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Temp Sensor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

Hey Rocket! And Joe!  I had changed the o2 as part of the all the componet swaps, here is anew one now in place. I've not yet installed an AFR gauge. I'm suspecting the stumble or stutter is leaness. I've changed dists and checked for advancement through RPMs, OK. I,ve changed ECUs also. Have not installed your rocket-chip. Am waiting to get this problem solved, then will install chip. Changed fuel pumps but there is no problem above 3000. It's because of it running good when cold is why my question of this sensor. Guess I'll buy a new one and get to work.  Thanks Guys.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Temp Sensor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

yea i agree with rocket the water temp sensor rarely dies (we aint never had to change one in a good # of b6t builds)... but i wouldnt dare say cant... and where it seems to only agravate when hot its definately not to be ruled out..

220hp@18psi

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Temp Sensor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

Hey Joe! This stuttering was discussed in the troll forum several months ago. It seems a couple of forum members were having these stutters, it never back through if they cured them. My car is driveable but is not correct and my urgency is I need to smog the car for registration. This stutter is occurring where they dyno the car. In case you don't know my history I presently own 15 running capris and don't have enough arms and legs to drive them all. LOL  then tears of a clown.  Gus

moot

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3338493
Temp Sensor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »

mine does the exact same thing does yours stutter while driving

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Temp Sensor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »

Hey Moot! It stutters under light throttle between 2000rpm and 3000rpm. In the smog tests here in Cal, they put the car on a wheel dyno. most of the test is done at about 2500rpm in second gear. The car won't run properly there. It spits and sputters badly and they can't get a test. Hence my predicament. I'll let you know how it goes later this week. Gus