TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Please tell me I'm pulling off the right turbo!  (Read 3426 times)

Colorado1

Please tell me I'm pulling off the right turbo!
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

Got home & noticed a 88 thunderbird turbo just arrived @ the junk yard. Been there all day so it better be the right one for the hybrid? I thought an extra would be nice to have but man what a job! Vj11/14 deal. Can't get the bottom bolt off connecting it to the manifold so I think I'll have to pull the whole thing out manifold & all to finish in the morning*%~*%%£> hell! Please tell me that I've been working on the right turbo for the hot side!
   Thanks, Rob

& thanks Russ for the parts-I'm too tired to push a connector together right now!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »

Sorry but no - the Tbird turbo is referred to as the "Tbird" turbo. Its much larger that the VJ11 or 14, its useful as a pretty aggressive upgrade, although it makes more power it it also laggier but still not bad.

For the VJ11 You need to look for a first gen Ford Probe GT or 88-92 Mazda MX6 or 626 turbo. It came on the 2.2L 12valve engines.

Also, the "hot side" is not what you want - you want the "cold side" which is the compressor housing and compressor wheel.

The good news is that there is still a good market for the turbo you're pulling - grab er & post it up for sale!

-Rocketman
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »

Well that's good news twice. I have a 626 probe turbo already & it cost me.  However I read in a post that good shops won't do work on cracked turbos & the hot side on the 626 has a couple hairlines, reason for extra. Cold side is good though. I've read a lot about the porting etc. & found a good shop for rebuilds here. A sticky on a how to on a vj11/14 would help a lot I think since I've read quite a few how too's? Thanks RM.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »

They 14/11 hybrid ditches the probe hotside so no worries on that. You only need the compressor wheel and housing to make the hybrid.

I'll see what I can do with a sticky on the hybrid

Colorado1

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »

Check your in box when you get time.

bhazard

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »

Let me know what you're gonna do with your turbos, I either need to come across a probe coldside alone or a probe center/turbine and a tbird compressor. My vj14 compressor wheel is shot.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Colorado1

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »

There's a probe/626 turbo on eBay right now that's going for $80.00 free shipping. That's a lot less than I payed. The thunderbird turbo had huge end play so I left it as a paper weight-too much work for nothing. The other turbo I'll hybrid when I can afford it. Awhile off though, just collecting parts until I can do something w/them.

Rob

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »

You should go back and grab the compressor housing and wheel. Someone could use that to make a 11 / Tbird hybrid.

Colorado1

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

Just read that. If it's still there tomorrow, but it has to be worth while since I've got to buy it & it was a pita, from the first response I didn't think it was the right one? I'll check in the morning & it might still be there since it's just ready for anyone to pick up & walk with.
   Rob

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

Its not the correct turbo for the hybrid you're after. But as long as it is the proper IHI turbo then it can be used a more powerful upgrade, which requires more work to run.

Make sure the turbo says "IHI" or "Warner-ISHI" on it and not "Garrett" Garrett = not compatable, there were two different turbos used on the TurboCoupe.

Colorado1

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

Thanks Rocketman, I really have to figure out if it's worth it. About 61.00 bucks(in & out twice so far + 49 + tax, for what I can't sell it for), plus I don't need it. Would rather get pieces of 2 1/2" exhaust here & there. Nobodys gonna buy the turbo pieces for that I don't think. If the whole thing was good I'd be alright. Lookedlike a good bet since there was a canister of weed under the front seat-police impound not wrecked.

Catch you all later, Rob

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »

Hey Rob! I bought a car awhile back and when I removed the radio a baggy fell out and it was a large marble sized ball of black-tar heroin. But I didn't use it like you may have the weed. Gus in Sacto.

Colorado1

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »

Now that's funny! I left it but I did figure I deserved the center mirror switch(which is the same 4 way as ours) & bought a glove box handle I'll try to fab since they all break. How much did you get for the heroin?