TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Confusing Alternator Issue  (Read 2405 times)

Kev93

• '93 XR2 | Ford F-150
    • http://ombe.com
Confusing Alternator Issue
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »

I noted a couple weeks ago that, in the dark (and usually only in the dark), I could see the AC warning light/Alternator warning light glowing when cruising (say about 3500 RPM).  Voltage meter held position, but would be gradually lower each day ... until finally the car refused to turn over (in the WalMart Parking lot ...)

I spent $n hours removing said alternator and took it to my rebuilder.  He says he can't find anything wrong with it.

Battery checks out good.  Could this simply be belt slippage at high RPM?  It's got us buffaloed ... and I don't *really* like plugging her in like a Volt every night...

Any thoughts, gents?  Your experience?

Thank you!
/* Just along for the ride */
\\\'93 XR2 in progress | Daily Driver | 5th Gear Swap | Rocketman VAF Adapter

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:00 AM »

I've never had that exact experience, but if your battery is constantly draining it's obviously not getting a charge. I think you're on the right track with a slipping belt. Make sure that puppy is TIGHT. Check to see if you have a small oil leak that is getting onto the belt or the alternator pulley. I had that problem in my last XR2 and was having slip issues and throwing belts like no one's business. Replaced the oil pan gasket and that fixed the problem. The oil was getting thrown up onto the alternator at high speeds.
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Kev93

• '93 XR2 | Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:33:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Tonlaw!  It's weird --- I never seem to have to add oil between 5K mile changes, so I wouldn't think it was a leak ... but the oil pan *is* rather slick looking.  

I'll see about getting the alt back in (probably have to wait 'til Saturday) and come back with an update.

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »

It doesn't take much, especially if your belt is already a bit loose. Not sure what else it could be if the alternator and battery check out good. Keep us posted!
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »

Did your guy load test the alternator? When that light comes on it means that current is actually flowing backwards thru the alt, not doing its job providing power.

The alt might check out on a bench test but in use it might not be providing enough current to keep everything happy.

If it wasn't load tested I'd bring it somewhere else & have it double checked and take it from there
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »

i experienced this with a loose belt.. it did not squeal.
to avoid re-using a glazed belt, i bought a new $5 AutoZone belt, got it tight and the problem was solved.
hope this is the solution for you, too.
omgimluvit

Kev93

• '93 XR2 | Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »

Well, so far it doesn't seem to be.

I put the ALT/Gen back in.  Something up there was squealing like a banshee during my 1st shakedown.

I looked, but couldn't find an issue and couldn't determine the source of the noise.  2nd shakedown the next morning was "normal", no noise, but the battery was so dead I had to jump it to get it started.

I bought a new battery this AM and have it here @work.  Ran fine until I stopped for a drink at a Quik-Stop a couple miles from here.  Squealed all the way down the main drag to the office.  Dash meter indicated lower power output than before, which leads me to think the Alt/Gen is the culprit, and that sometimes it's turning well and other times it's not.  Temperature was normal, so I don't think it's the water pump....

Rocketman, I'll have the alt checked by someone else and see what they think.  

Thanks, guys!