TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: No Start, No Spark  (Read 3189 times)

rcdraco

No Start, No Spark
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »

I have a 1991 XR2, recently had the whole car in after a year of setting with it not running.  Distributor, Coil, Plugs, Wires were changed.  I heard rocketman mention grounds near the thermostat.  Are those the ones near the O2 Sensor connector?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
No Start, No Spark
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »

Yes thats the ground. Is the tach jumping when you crank it?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

No Start, No Spark
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

Believe it or not, it hopped a bit last week.

I went to crank it today and when the key was at RUN, not actually cranking it the tach was bouncing around up to like 5,000.  But that may have had to do with the battery being a bit low.

TurboChief1989

No Start, No Spark
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »

Would not having the ground wires hooked up at the thermostat while car was running effect anything? The reason I am asking is the car ran great while doing a system flush last night. I didn't have the bracket with the grounds wires installed on the thermo housing. Went to start this morning after I installed the thermostat and bracket and it tried to start but didn't. I also left the VAF top off last night and water was in the top of the VAF. I dried it out. I may have shorted the VAF too.

rcdraco

No Start, No Spark
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »

Shorting the VAF can cause the fuel pump to not engage.  Had that occur when I was too zealous removing my battery.  There's plenty of VAF's out there though.

Only wish I could figure out where my issues are coming from.  

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
No Start, No Spark
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »

When I get my daily driver back on the road I'd be more than willing to come give you a hand, I think you're only like 45 minutes away from me. I have cheap rates too!  
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

No Start, No Spark
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »

Hopefully I get the same done with my damn geo.  Just ordered control arms and tie rods to go with the new axles.  Then it still has 3 month old inspection and bald front tires to deal with.

rcdraco

No Start, No Spark
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

Have 2 new things.  My battery I was using is unable to get to 100% charge, and when I connect ANY battery to the car it doesn't do that initial connection spark.

What normally pulls the initial load?