TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello there, newbie here  (Read 5784 times)

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »

I just bought this XR2 for $900.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1317648897.html

Its in great condition for its age. It does need a new CV joint, not sure 1 or both.

There is a bearing noise when the motor is running. The owner described it as a noise from the AC cluth but I think its mainly from the alternator bearing or could be the AC cluth bearing too.

When I took the test drive, there is a lot of noise that comes from the front, from my past experience it seems like its differential bearings are shot.

It would defnitely need a new valve cover gasket.

First things first, would change the engine oil and the tranny oil with synthetic. Fix the valve cover gasket and finally raise the boost to 10 psi with an ebay FMIC.

Any thoughts about the issues mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »

Welcome to the forum! You'll have to post your own pictures, as the person who sold the car to you has deleted the craigslist ad!

I fully agree with you on the use of synthetics, and highly recommend using Amsoil products. Their marketing strategy sucks, but the product is top-of-the-line!
Also, in addition to the FMIC, get a RocketChip, and a MBC! You'll be able to boost much more than the 10 your aiming for!

Either way, any running XR2 that can be bought for $900 is a steal!  Good Job!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »

I will post the pictures as soon as I get the car. I live in Las Vegas however the car was in Florence, AZ. I had to drive yesterday and it was like 365 miles 1 way. Saw the car, gave the seller money and brought the title back with me. He still has that car. I would try and get the car back by this weekend.

About Amsoil, would you know the oil number or type that you used in Amsoil brand for the tranny?

There is a tons of info on this site about the MBV and other things but its too scared for me to really go ahead and do something. Of course, there is a lot of maintenance that needs to be done right first.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

phoenix strikes again...i got mine for the same price, i think i remember seeing that one listed.

not many XR2s listed in arizona. they all seem to be N/A
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

Okay time for some pics. The car was in the garage as I was changing the engine oil. However, I thought I could take a couple for now as outside was too sunny for the pics.

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »

Few problems or questions?

1. The cooling fan is on the moment you turn on the ignition. It should be automatic, right?

2. The blowers inside cabin do not work. The air con seems to kick in when you turn it on but there is no air or even noise of a blower motor kicking in.

3. Next to the air filter, what is that white harness for?

4. Where is the PCV valve.

4. What is the best way to unhook the a/c belt as I need to troubleshoot the bearing noise.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

my fan does the same thing. i am guessing its normal.

as for the AC stuff. i have a complete AC system i can sell you. i removed all mine when i installed the FMIC.
the white connector is for troubleshooting the car i think.

pvc is next to the intake manifold on passenger side
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

Thank you for your offer. However, I currently do not know if my a/c compressor's bearing is bad. That is why I wanted to know what is the best way to uninstall the a/c belt.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »

you have to go buy a NON AC belt. i got mine from autozone for about 7 bucks.

once you know its bad let me know.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »

I guess you missed my point here. Everything is connected as far as the air con goes however 1. there is no blower action.
2. I need to take off the belt so I could troubleshoot the bearing problem.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »

check the fuses as well, do you get the green light when you turn it on?

does the heater part work?
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »

Yes, I do have the green light when I turn the ac on, I can feel the load on the engine but its just that the blowers would not kick in.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »

First check the fuse..if that is ok jump a wire to the blower motor to see if it works.... if that works check the thermistor that is in the blower box assembly. To remove the A/C belt you need to loosen the P/S pump and push it towards the motor. Pcv valve is on the back of cam cover on the passenger side venting into the intake plenum. Download the factory service manual that Gostlrs sent you and read it whenever you get a chance. If you are not up to speed as far as auto mechanics...get there.. as any time you have to take your car to the shop your 900.00 good buy will turn into a money pit.
HTH
Clay
Mesa Az

delhiboy3732

Hello there, newbie here
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »

Thank you for your reponse.

You are right about the expenses and that is why I believe to always keep a brand new car for your daily driver and this is just my project car. I drive an 07 Sonata along with SLK and miata. I just bought this to see what mercury capri is all about.

You are right about the blower and after reading the manual which ghost stealer sent before. Looks like I need to get into removing the blower assembly and then troubleshoot.

Does your cooling fan also turn on the moment your turn on the ignition? It sounds weird to me.
Pages: [1] 2