TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Timing  (Read 2699 times)

Hollis

Timing
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »

So today I was under the hood and I noticed 2 bolts were loose near the distributor. Without thinking I moved it..... Now I have no idea how long they have been lose but I have no idea were to set the timing. Right now its all the way back and it idles at 1k when i pull it foward it slows down. No idea and dont want to mess things up. Any help?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Timing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »

For the time being set it to around the middle, where the idle is 850-900.

Get ahold of a timing light, disconnect & cap the vac advance to the dizzy, and set to 12* BTDC. (rotate the dizzy till the marks on the crank pulley line up with the 12* mark on the timing belt cover)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Hollis

Timing
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:28:00 AM »

I cant find ne one with a light. Will it matter much if its just in the middle. It runs fine seems to have more power... Im only slightly mechanical so this is still all new to me lol.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Timing
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »

You should be able to rent one for free or on the cheap from your local Advance Auto. You could do it in the parking lot.

Yes it might have more power you've probably got it advanced a little more now. More aggressive timimg = more power to an extent, however under higher boost it can cause issues if your fueling isn't up to snuff

Hollis

Timing
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »

Well it was spinning tire threw first. Then I messed with it and it didnt do it as much. Now its back to normal. I set it in the middle. Put on bosch platinum today had to order my temp gauge's fittings cuz they didnt include the right ones... Also found out my cooling system has some nasty stuff in it so flushed that. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the gauge in all the way.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Timing
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »

Bosch single electrode only...

Hollis

Timing
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »