TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: White smoke after startup: Looks like I'll be doing a head gasket.  (Read 11992 times)

georelle

Last Friday I started the Capri and a cloud of white smoke came out. It cleared up after about 30 seconds. I have checked it and after it sits several hours it will start to smoke about 3-5 seconds after start up then clear about 30 seconds later. It idles fine. I pulled the plugs and they look good. I just did a tune up probably less then two months ago so the plugs are clean anyway.
Tonight I will be doing a compression test. What should I disconnect to do the compression check- ECU fuse?
Any other suggestions?
If I need to do the head I am thinking about doing the timing belt while I am at it. Anything else I should check out?
The car is 91 N/A just at 100K miles. I have had it two years and it had about 88K when I got it. I have also replaced the radiator and thermostat. It has never overheated since I have owned it.
Thanks
-George-

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
White smoke after startup: Looks like I'll be doing a head gasket.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »

Being that your plugs are clean, it is not pointing toward any particular cylinder leaking.

There are other methods of coolant to enter the cylinders. The throttlebody has coolant passages in it to prevent ice buildup on the throttle blade. The intake manifold has several coolant passages on the bottom of it. These all can leak.

Run a compression test and throw the numbers up here. Disconnect the fuel injector harness (not a bad idea to do the coil too), and you'll be fine. Comp tests are run with the throttle WOT.

If you do end up replacing the head gasket, the timing belt should be done as well. It all has to be disconnected, it would make no sense to re-use the old belt.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

georelle

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:00 AM »

Thanks Rocket.
I was just looking at the diagram for the engine cooling and noticed the coolant flows through the intake. I wondered if the intake might cause this. I was thinking the compression test would tell and also wondered if it was head gasket the cooling system would pressurize and if it was the intake it wouldn't. So I am not sure how to check  if the cooling system is pressurized as it will have some pressure normally. I have also read that the coolant can be tested. Who knows maybe I will get lucky.

George

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »

Are you using coolant at all? Does the coolant look crappy, have oil/sludge floating on top?

You can pressure test the cooling system. You can rent an adapter for the radiator at a parts store.

If you start the car with the radiator cap off, does it start to bubble persistently? (exhaust gas being forced through the coolant system?)

georelle

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

Coolant looks clean. I don't think it is down at all. I will try running it with the radiator cap off to see what it does. If that doesn't tell me anything I will look into the pressure tester.

Thanks again.

georelle

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »

Ok I checked the compression and this is what I got. Looking at the motor from the front of the car left to right 183, 183, 180,& 169.
So one cylinder is about 14psi below the highest. I am not sure this is the smoking gun I was looking for. I thought I was doing good until I got to the last one and it was just on the bottom of 170 mark.
I also ran the motor with the radiator cap off and it looked normal.
I also have a picture of a couple plugs. One is from the lowest psi and the other is from the highest. They both look the same.I will post them as soon as I remember how I did it last time.

georelle

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »

Here is the picture

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

It's still within 10% of the other cylinders which is the accepted norm. Does not sound like a headgasket to me, IMO.

You sure it's white smoke? Valveseals, PCV valve can cause oil smoke on startup

rcdraco

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »

All cars tend to show some white smoke when it's cold.  If you're not loosing coolant, and the fuel economy is normal; you're probably fine.  

Unless the smoke is bad enough that you might get pulled over, it's probably nothing.

georelle

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »

I actually replaced the PCV two days ago. I am pretty sure the old one was bad because it idles better now. The idle used to fluctuate.

I know that vehicles will smoke when it's cold. I do live in South Dakota. However on Friday after the car had sat in the garage for 48 hours, it was about 45 degrees out, I started itr and went to back out. When I looked back I was like holly cow where did all that smoke come from. I hopped out and looked at the exhaust as it just started to clear. I drove it a couple miles then and let it sit in the garage since. I have started it several times.

I am going to let it sit today then start driving it with caution while monitoring the coolant, oil, and engine temp to see what happens.

Thanks all for the advice. I will let you all know what I find.
George

rcdraco

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »

Could also be just moisture got into the pipe system , depending on if your garage dips forward a bit that could be all it was.

georelle

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »

The smoke continues. I have ordered a head gasket set, timing belt kit, and a water pump. I am goin' in!

georelle

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »

Need a little advice from the experienced.

I am down to removing the head bolts and notice they are not standard bolts so I am going to have to get the right tool for this. Can I get this at the auto parts store?

I am also going to get a valve spring compressor. Will a standard valve spring compressor work for this head? I am suspicious of the valve seals.

Thanks all-
George

rcdraco

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »

The headbolts ARE standard bolts, you just need a 12 point socket, but lately 12 point socket sets are disappearing so you'll need to do some hunting.  Once you remove the HLA's you should be able to remove the springs without too much trouble.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »

They're 12mm 12-point bolts. A 6-point socket will not work, you need a 12-point socket.

The valvespring compressor is tough, a regular one won't work because the spring and keepers are stuffed all the way down inside the HLA bucket.

Ford had a special spring compressor:

This was discussed on the FordFestiva board recently. One of the members there said a spring compressor for a motorcycle would work, they linked to this kit on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Car-Valve-Spring-Compressor-Kit-/150618701696?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item231192ff80

Pages: [1] 2 3