TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: transmission swap  (Read 3240 times)

David Duckett

transmission swap
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »

Has anyone ever tried to swap transmissions?  I have two 92 capri's nonturbo. one is a parts car w/ a manual trans the other an automatic that is dying. the auto seem to have a very hard time shifting into gear 2 to 3 and the same for 4th. i can nurse it though out but sometimes not. it just slips until i get my foot off the accelerator and gently slow back on.  I changed the internal filter and fluid, and the magnet in the pan looked like a chia pet. So i kinda figure it's on it's way out.. but wondering if there is any issues with swapping a manual five speed into the car with the auto now. what else would i have to change. Or did someone figure out that i's just too much hassle and i should just rebuild my auto. If you've gotten this far thanks for reading my rant. and any help would be appreciated.
David Duckett  :D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
transmission swap
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »

David,

There's been a lot of folks talking about what you're looking to do, but I can't think of anyone who's done it. Shouldn't be that hard though, you've got a whole donor car.

How's the engine in the parts car? might be easier just to swap the whole drivetrain.

Either way you'll want the transmission, axles, shifter, linkage, flywheel, pressure plate/clutch etc.

The hardest part will be swapping the pedal assemblies. Never pulled one out of an auto. But I've done n/a manual to XR2 though, I pulled it off without pulling the dash.

I'm unsure what wiring would have to be swapped. But you have the luxury of the donor car and can compare before/after digging in.

Hope this helps.
-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"