TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Something is wrong.  (Read 2836 times)

Hollis

Something is wrong.
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'll try to explain in detail as much as possible.

Ok when I got my car it had some problems. Two of the biggest were the balljoint bolt was gone. No idea were it was. On the left side. And the bolt to the torsion bar was broke. (Sway arm w.e u wanna call it) Anyways. I got a new bolt and tightened it up for the ball joint. After getting a corcica kit I grinded the spacer to fit for the torsion bar.

Anyways I noticed in turns to the right the car is stable at high speeds. I can hit corners over 75+ without breaking a sweat. Now.... As for going left thats another story (I don't support reckless driving be smart don't kill yourself or others) going into a turn its fine. Once I start to pull some real force it feels like it buckles and jumps into the turn more. Kinda like the right tire is biting harder in the turn... Flexes wayy more. Real scary feeling. I noticed my alignment is out also. And from what my buddy says it has a devilish amount of torque steer.(He drives a 300 hp dsm fwd).

I know they don't handle the greatest. But I'm 99% sure something is up and its bad. Because it shouldn't flex that much in a turn. Hell my 99 lumina held left hand turns better than it  :(

I mean it really bites in. So much that it will cut into the other lane on hard turns. And its violent, just throws itself. I won't let my gf drive my car.

Any idea would help a lot. I'm lost. I have a feeling rigging the spacer has something to do with it. This weekend when I get time I think its going up on jackstands and I'm going to pull it all apart. Thanks for any info.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Something is wrong.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »

Swaybar endlinks are special spaced bolts, not just any bolts. That could be causing your problem.

Also check your tie-rod ends, if they're shot they could make it funky as well.

Get it aligned too, helps out a lot with torque steer.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Something is wrong.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »

Strut bar may help at well, i noticed a huge difference when mine was put on
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Hollis

Something is wrong.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »

Alright thanks for the reply. It just scares me because I've never had a car just all of the sudden cut into a turn more. Its such a violent jump to. I've gotten use to it so I can sorta counter it. But when others wanna take my car for a ride I wont let them.

I'm going to check it out in a few days. Hopefully its nothing serious.

yen

Something is wrong.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »

Does it lean alot during left turns? More than right? Also for curiosity park it on a level surface and inspect if the car sits level.
If it looks cocked up on one side you may have biiig problemo.
And check if offset of rims are symetrical L vs R (not actual offset of rim but distance from outter lip of guard.)
Ditto on the alignment, the report will confirm if geometry be the culprit.
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

Hollis

Something is wrong.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

What would be the big problem?

Hollis

Something is wrong.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »

And yeah it does lean more into turns than the other side. Tends to pull to the right also.