TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Best way to change the clutch?  (Read 2934 times)

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
Best way to change the clutch?
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »

I have access to a lift, is it easier to drop the trans out of the bottom of the car, or just pull the entire engine/trans out of the top? also i need reccomendations for a good strong clutch, nothing insane but something that will handle all the common bolt ons at 16 psi

Sceeter

Re: Best way to change the clutch?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 08:59:27 AM »

I did two trans. my self in the driveway dropping them down  why disconnect more than you have too. With a lift a walk in the park.   

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »

Yeah, don't do more than you have to unless you want to work on the engine too. Half the work is in the vehicle pulling the axles before you even get to that decision.

There are several standard clutch kits available around the $100 range. If you want a performance clutch here is a good one.
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Transmission-Drivetrain/Centerforce-Dual-Friction-Clutch-Kit?set-vehicle=1

You might shop around for a better price. Use Google search and click on the shopping tab. It'll lay all the clutches out for you.

Change your seals and pilot bearing while you are in there. Advance or AutoZone loans a pilot bearing puller. I usually just pack the bearing with grease and drive a shaft of the same size in the hole and the bearing will pop right out. A socket and extension works if you can't find anything else.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:31:45 AM by mitch1204 »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 12:48:31 AM »

I always found pulling the subframe/LCAs a pain. The LCA bolt's captured nuts can be a nightmare.

Then again I've never had access to a lift.
I dropped a trans in once in my early days, because I put the clutch disk in backwards (after putting the engine in through the top, and then returning the borrowed cherrypicker). Never again.

Pull the whole thing out the top, you'll have plenty of room to work - and it's a breeze to do other maintenance like timing belt/water pump if it's due for them.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"