TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: what are my options...  (Read 3853 times)

newboyracer

what are my options...
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »

I have a Blown vj-14 (oil out compressor side) and a good used vj-11 with everthing but the exhaust bend.  Is it possible to make a hybrid turbo out of this by throwing in the exhaust side turbine off the blown vj-14?  I know I will have to be creative with water and coolent lines...  
Time is the greatest teacher, Unfortunatly it kills all it\\\'s students.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
what are my options...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »

Yes you can take the entire VJ11 CHRA and put it into the VJ14 turbine housing. It's actually the easiest way to make a hybrid, IMO
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »

Sorry I think I said it wrong.  I want to throw the exhaust side WHEEL from the vj-14 not turbine onto the vj-11.  Then just bolt up the vj-14 downpipe and be done...but I'm not sure if the wheel off the vj-14 will fit into the vj-11 exhaust side wheel housing.  wow that sounds confusing...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
what are my options...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »

You can't swap turbine wheels between the turbos, the turbine wheel is part of the shaft that runs through the whole turbo.

The VJ11 and VJ14 turbine wheels are the same. It's the turbine housing that's different, they have different A/R's that affect spool time.

Also, the VJ11 downpipe is different. The VJ14 downpipe won't bolt to it. The bolt pattern looks the same, but the bolts are off by several mm in a few places so it's a no go.

The CHRA (center housing rotating assembly, it's the cast iron center cartridge with the coolant and oil fittings that houses the bearings and turbine/compressor wheels) from the VJ11 will fit in the VJ14 turbine housing (that's the cast iron piece that bolts to the manifold) The CHRA is held in by 4 bolts, it's a tight interference fit into the housing. The CHRA's are both RHB5 series, so they're interchangeable.

What I'm getting at, is that you can take the whole VJ11 CHRA and stick it into the VJ14 turbine housing on the manifold. No need to unbolt the compressor wheel or anything.

Does that make sense? I gotta get my turbos together and take some pictures.

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »

I see what your geting at now.  No need to even mess with the wheels or unbolt the manifold.  Just the 4 bolts to change the Turbine Housing and I have a Hybrid. Thanks a bunch for explaining that to me.  With my new intercooler and mass air intake it should make a world of difference.  

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
what are my options...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »

You will have to redrill the wastegate actuator so it fits properly, but that's relatively easy

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »

Where do I have to redrill?  I already have the VJ-11 CHRA in the VJ-14 turbine housing.  I have yet to put the wastegate actuator on though cause I saw your post.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
what are my options...
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »

Mock it up on the turbo. You'll find the original bolt holes don't line up on the actuator bracket. (the bolt pattern is offset differently on the VJ11 turbo)

Simply mark it & drill new holes. IIRC it will only fit two bolts instead of three.

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »

What I ended up doing is just removing the little ring on the end of the actuator arm and using the VJ-11 actuator. No drilling nessary!...was a pain to get the old actuator off tho...

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
what are my options...
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »

Send them to Rocket..Add a few bucks and poof....Nice turbo..LOL
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
what are my options...
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »

How's your geometry though? The VJ11 actuator sits further away from the compressor, and hits the block if in the "correct" position. Hence using the VJ14 acutator & re-drilling, or re-drilling the 11's actuator to hug the block closer.

Skewed geometry can cause it to have really weird boost response, and potentially lose control of boost. Any pictures of your setup?

And yeah, the c-clip on the end of the actuator is a royal pain

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »

I can take some pics later today, but I have no idea how to upload them.  I went through pains to get the actuator as straight across as possible (put VJ-11 CHRA on see how lines up, take off, repeat) and it seems like its good.  I messed up the VJ-14 actuator pretty good taking it off so its now junk.  But I could redrill the VJ11 if I run into some clearence issues.  I don't have my hea on my car at the moment so its hard to see how it fits   :confused:

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »

correction head

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
what are my options...
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »

Yeah the VJ11 actuator will fit fine with the turbo off the car, but it'll hit the block when everything's installed

newboyracer

what are my options...
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

Well I got my head back on today and as Rocketman said it sure is tight down there.  I got the turbo on the head and it just barely touches the back of the block.  I'm almost tempted to just tourque it down the way it is, but I'll probally take it off tommrow and drill some hole a couple mm's in just to be on the safe side. It fits almost perfect tho...