TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Capri stumbles from idle, doesn't hold steady idle?  (Read 9155 times)

JackRobot

Capri stumbles from idle, doesn't hold steady idle?
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »

Hey guys,

bought another 91 xr2, gotta have one to drive while I build mine hah

Anywho, right off of idle it hesitates but after that its fine? any ideas? new plugs and put good wires off my other capri on it.

Thanks doods
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Project car
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Daily driver
1986.5 Nissan Hardbody project minitruck

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »

Check your vacuum lines and piping for leaks, might also check to see if the TPS is within spec

Is the throttle sticking? Clean the blade with carb cleaner
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JackRobot

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »

I was thinking tps as well, I seafoamed it, and it seemed to clear up the idle issue for the most part.

But today it would idle down real low, and then come back up then down and sometimes would hold and now i'm noticing a missing at about 2800-3000 before the turbo spools, but once spooled I notice no misfire or anything? Makes me think either distributor or tps.

Also if I unplug my tps there is no change in the way it runs at all.

Phillip

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

Don't move the TPS until you determine that it's definitely bad. It's a pain in the ass to adjust properly. I had a similar issue, mine was stumbling and sputtering at 2800 to 3000 rpm it turned out to be a marginally bad fuel pump.The idle was fine and the rail pressure looked good at idle but it would fall off right around this RPM range. The problem drove me nuts for a while and it didn't make sense to me but switching the pump eliminated the problem.
The idle issue really sounds like the IAC/BAC valve which could also give you the mid rpm problems.

JackRobot

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:00:00 AM »

Ok so after my timing belt broke, I did the following.

New plugs, swapped my iac from my other xr2, swapped my throttle body from my other xr2, flushed the coolant, and a couple other little things.

My idle issue is gone, but I still have the hesitation at 2500-3000

To better explain the problem, if I'm cruising and hit the throttle slowly it sometimes feels like a bogging, or like somethings holding the car back, then a little more gas and it boosts up and seems fine, it doesn't do it all the time, and if you are on it hard all the time you don't even notice it. But it makes crusing in 5th a pain in the ass.

Anymore ideas? got a good fuel pressure reading, but I'm about to put a new fuel pump in it anyway just to see if it helps.

Hollis

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

I have the same problem and have been wondering whats been up. It just feels like the engine lags off slightly then it takes off. Only does it to me when I push slightly. Throws a code to, but autozone said they have no idea how to check the codes on it. It only flickers my check engine real fast. Someone told me its my tps. Let me know what solves it might point me in the right direction.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »

02/cat
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »

Vac leak, could be TPS

Hollis, do a search, there is a procedure on how to pull your own codes. You jumper a terminal in the engine bay and then way the CEL blink on the dash, counting the patterns it makes

JackRobot

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

I've checked over the vac lines pretty well, and don't see anything to lead me to believe its a vac leak, I'm going to redo all the lines anyway.

I replaced the tb because I figured I'd eliminate two problems at once, the tps and a possible leak at the tb gasket, I know my other xr2 didn't do the stumble so I don't think its that.

I'm going to do a new 02 sensor, even though I swapped it from my other one, and remove my cat although it never smells or gives me any sign of being bad. But my exhaust is garbage hah

Also once I get my vac ports onto my intercooler piping, I'm going to put my fmic kit on to eliminate the possible boost leaks, that seems to be the most logical issue to me?

About the vac ports, Think it'd be a bad idea to run the vac connects you drill and then fit a gromet into then put the vac port into? I figured it would possibly leak under boost, but figured I'd see what you guys think.

Got my civic short throw shifter installed today, world of difference and thank god my sloppy pos shifter is fixed, I couldn't stand the rattle anymore hah

I'll write up a how to on it asap!

Thanks guys!

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »

get a fotting and use jb weld...will hold much better. boosted 16lbs without issues like that. i dont think the grommet will hold
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

JackRobot

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »

I don't think I'm going to use jb weld hah

I'll prob just get it welded, just figured maybe the drill and gromet ones might work.

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »

hey jack i have seen this problem as well with my car and i think i have tried most of the things you have and the only thing that changes mine was taking the timing back just a little.. like it was adv. or something and my fan temp switch messing with my ideing one minute the car well be idling high and the next it well be idling low and its brandnew so there some of my reason

blackhandbeagles

• 91 xr2
Re: Capri stumbles from idle, doesn't hold steady idle?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »

Did you folks ever figure this out? I have the idle issue where it idles around 800-1k rpm but will fall off some times. It also will bog down between 2800-3200 RPMs if I am slightly letting off the gas. If I give it more throttle the boost kicks in and off I go.

Tonight on my way home it got much worse. I have replaced the fuel pump, the big filter under the dash, plugs, wires, etc. Unless it's snowing this is my daily driver so I would really like to get this figured out.

blackhandbeagles

• 91 xr2
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »

I just pulled the codes. The only one that reads is 12, throttle position sensor.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »

TPS could very well be the issue, especially if it's throwing the code for it