TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Anyone with engine stuttering/loss of power.  (Read 4483 times)

Hollis

Anyone with engine stuttering/loss of power.
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »

Ok so I see there is about 3-4 others with same problems as I've had with my car. We all have replaced part after part with no lead to whats causing it.

Just a question has anyone found an answere to it?
So far I've punched cat, new o2, plugs, wires, compression test, checked for vacuum leaks new fuel filter.

I've been told it could be tps(Someone replaced theirs no luck)
Or timing is another issue. But a friend checked and said timing is fine (Hes not the great at what he does tho)

My capri's symtoms as of today.

Stuttering around 3k. Seems fixed since new fuel filter but I still get it. Also fixed my cel.

High rpm the fuel cuts off? It acts as if it didn't get fuel.

Low power. Barely spins a tire on launch.

Small(100-300) rpm drop/increase like a vacuum leak. But nothing found

Spark plugs were new. They developed white on them within 3 days of being in. So that means its running hot in the cyl right? So timing is advanced to far?

Seems like it misses from time to time. On boost no problems.

I just wanted to make this thread to see if we can't figure out whats going on.
A friend said since it a non interference engine the timing belt could have slipped way off and be causing these problems.
But I don't have a timing light I'm broke now so I can't buy one and no one who has the knowledge has one I know.

And I want to thank everyone who has been trying to help us.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:25:00 AM »

If you have an early 91 car I would check the crank pulley and see if you have "the wobble". While it is running look down at the crank pulley and look for the wobble...if you don't see at idle then goose the throttle and see if if shows it's ugly face. I would check anyway..no telling which motor is in that car. If so you will need a different crankshaft cuz yours is broke or breaking.
Clay

Hollis

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »

Yeah. It looks like it but idk cuz I'm paranoid with every sound the car makes at this point lol.

Colorado1

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:00:00 AM »

Searched "loss of power" & got a thread from Randysomething. It fixed a couple cars. I'm gonna take my grounds off & clean like crazy. Plus I need to check the grounds on the fuel tank since I found a 2 ft. Silver braided wire & bracket under the back seat & have NO idea where it's supposed to go. Anyway check that thread-people were getting ready to sell their cars - then they found it.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »

It won't make a sound...what year is the car...
Clay

Hollis

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »

91. I ment it as in any little thing thats off and I freak.

Phillip

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »

I was having the same problem. Went through ALL the Shiite and finally put in an adjustable FPR. Adjusted the pressure to 55lbs. and it went away. Turns out I had an intake leak after the VAF. It was leaning out at about 25-3000rpm. White spark plugs are definitely a lean indication. If your boosting beyond stock I'd stop quick and find the problem. If you don't you'll end up with melted broken crap in the crankcase.

Colorado1

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »

I connected that braided wire(above-asked "can anyone tell me what these are" thread-w/pic.), Rocketman said engine ground from upper strut tower to back of head. Connected it to valve cover screw since I couldn't find a screw with that small of a hole & it runs into the head. Not a single miss on a test drive today. Fingers crossed X, triple check your grounds-see if you have that one. Good luck Hollis. I'm not done until I run through the WHOLE engine. My miss & stumble crap was WORSE than I've made out to be.

Hollis

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »

In the process right now of replacing a belt that broke. I have 2 options at this point. Sell the capri or get it running 100% within a month. So it might be getting a n/a 1.8 bp. If things work out. If not I'm going to replace the timing belt and check grounds. If all goes well I'll keep it. If not there is a z28 with a bored out 350 5 speed sitting down the road from me... One of my fav cars but I rather keep my gas sipping capri.

gadawgs34

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

i would get the Z28 if i had the choice. but i am lucky tho my capri has not had any bad problems.   :cool:
Mike Robinson

Hollis

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »

Yeah the z28 is a BEAST. But I'm still thinking of the direction I will be going. If I could rebuild b6t cheap and drop it in festiva I could just part out or sell my capri. Cuz the body is spotless. And my gf couldn't bitch about spending more money on the capri cuz it would be a festiva then haha. Not to sure tho. I just love small light weight fast cars.

bhazard

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

BP capri and B6T festiva. Walk on the mullet wagon.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Hollis

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »

I do sorta wanna go the festiva way. Save my capri shell for a bpt when i get the cash. Gonna pick up new timing belt and assesory belt today. Hopefully get the b6t up and running well again

Hollis

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 04:46:00 AM »

*crosses fingers*

So my car is 180+/- off on timing. So I'm hoping that is just the problem.

About to change my belt. It must have jumped looks fairly new... But meh. Gonna be safe.