TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Hesitation  (Read 1589 times)

Nex813

Hesitation
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »

I have a 1991 XR2. No major mods, open 2-1/2 exhaust, opened factory airbox, NGK's (1 step cooler), and a manual boost controller turned up to 11 pounds. I have an issue when the car warms up. When I go to accelerate from a constant speed or taking off, I get this tiny stumble and when I get about 5 pounds on the gauge (aftermarket), it feels like it has an engine brake engaging (or a choking effect) until you either accelerate more or let off and accelerate again. Another thing is it has a sound coming out of the exhaust that sounds like someone who is trying to play a trombone but doesn't know how to blow in the mouthpiece correctly. It doesn't happen all the time, but atleast once or twice on my drive to work.
Thanks for any and all help.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Hesitation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:31:00 AM »

Couple things:

Turn the boost back down just a bit. 11psi is right at the edge of the stock fuel map.

I'd also suggest going back to stock heat range plugs. The car will run better with the hotter plug, you won't need cooler plugs until you're in the 200hp-ish range

See if these help. The stock fuel maps do have some "holes" that can become apparent with the addition of intake & exhaust, they can cause hesitation at part-throttle. I do recall running into them when I was modding my first XR2.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"