TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Check my work (BOV install)  (Read 4345 times)

JThw8

Check my work (BOV install)
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »

Ok as warned in the other thread this is quick and dirty to get the car ready for the rally.  After the rally I'll do something much better.

I used the vacuum line that was going to the existing BPV.  The BPV is capped off otherwise, it was that way when I got it so I am working on the assumption it was bad so I just went with the SSQV blowff valve for a quick fix.

I'll probably get a shorter hose and make a solid mount for it I was just working with the materials I had on hand at the moment.

My only real goal right here is to keep the turbo from getting destroyed because the BPV was capped off.  Is there anything wrong with how I have this?  I'm a turbo newb so let me have it if Im about to screw up the car.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »

That'll work, obviously shorter hoses = better. Its all aboot flow.

My only gripe - replace the stock BPV vacuum line with new rubber hose. It looks plenty dry rotted.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

JThw8

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

Good point, its on my list when I go to the parts store for a shorter hose, I just hooked it up to show the plan.   It is terribly dry rotted, you are correct.

Colorado1

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »

Hey Rocketman, I was thinking along the same lines of thought, but I was going to bury the BOV down where the original was and put in the recirculating fitting to run it back into the original place near the J pipe. I was hoping this would keep the measured air more consistent. Is that going to give me any problems with the turbo? Thought it might be a little more quiet also. Thanks, Rob

bhazard

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »

2.3 turbid never came with any bpv or bov ...and my stock IHI is fine after 184k miles. Of course a vj14 ain't as meaty...
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

JThw8

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »

Its $30 worth of insurance I guess.  I was warned against running without something there and considering how abused this car has been prior to me I dont want to take any chances.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

Brad, you'll notice they don't make cars without bov/bpv's anymore... there's a reason for that.
The early 2.3T didn't have an intercooler either, and we all know the benefits of them  :confused:  

One of the major things that will happen, especially under higher boost - you'll start to pop intercooler couplers & hoses. And again, it has long term detrimental effects on the turbo.

Plus, recircing, and even venting, keeps the turbo from stalling completely & offers better performance (as opposed to running nothing)

bhazard

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

Of course, I never said there's no benefit. Just saying...running without isn't gonna kill your turbo.

The short time I did run a bov on my bird it did seem a lot more responsive after shifts. It was a greddy style though and had a fun time keeping it adjusted right.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

kelly270

• http://na
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »

I bought mine from silconeintakes.com for about $50, its loud as hell when I shift, never had a bit of trouble with it.
this pic is before the FMIC was installed, looks kind of weak under the hood!! LOL

We just hooked it up with a brass fitting and some things layin round. When it blows, it blows. I've seen a girl jump 3 foot high in the air, I love it!!! And the red paint I added makes it look sooo much more expensive.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

JThw8

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »

Sorry I haven't had much time to update this, got sent over to Denmark for 2 weeks.

Well the BOV is a no-go.  Kinda knew I was rolling the dice with a cheap Ebay one but with it installed the car wont idle, its just pulling in air, wont seal up fully.  I've tried tinkering with it to no avail so for the time being Im going to make up a pipe to reconnect the stock BPV until after the rally then I'll have time to experiment more.

I still have to get a radio wired in (7 days in a car with no radio would not be good) get the CB hooked up and do some general tidying up before I set out on June 6 and I actually have very few free days to do any of that.

JThw8

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »

Ok, I have the stock BPV hooked back up.  Just needed some 1/2 hardline between the 2 connectors, lucky for me I'm building a new bathroom in the house right now.

I figure it matches the PO's intake work  

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Wow that is busy, You can get a pipe made up like the one I did for about $65. In My Opinion the Synapse BOV is the best on the market. You can get the anti-stall kit for them as well. Second would be the HKS SSQV. Dead sexy when it spits.....

http://www.synapseengineering.com

Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »

That's just...ugh. Not sure if I have any words for that...lol. Reminds me of when I used PVC for my intercooler piping, agghhhh.

At least it's temporary, lol.

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »

i remember the pvc setup you had matt haha
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »

Busy was the nicest words I could think of. Good thing it is a temp and i was not drinking...  :D
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible