TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: turbo or motor?  (Read 4501 times)

sterling94capri

turbo or motor?
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:43:00 AM »

I think my turbo is going. It smokes when I start it after sitting. Oil comes out of my MBC, its a bleeder. It seems to boost to what ever I try, but doesn't have the power it did. I called Mystic Turbo Dallas to see about a hybrid, he seemed to think it was more likely the motor.Told him my compresion was 150 all 4,he said that ain't under boost.How can I tell if its the Turbo(which I hope it is)or the motor?Rocky

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
turbo or motor?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »

pull the pipe off the top of the turbo coldside...(the one leading to the intercooler)
if there is signifigant oil in your coldside.. its prolly a coldside seal...

is there alot of smoke from the exhaust???

with the compression you have, im doubting seriously that it is ring blow by....

sounds to me thats a coldside oil seal letting the oil in from the turbo....

check your throttle body ...if there is oil on your throttle plate its your turbo... if its the engine, you wouldnt be getting oil on the throttle body BEFORE the engine...
 just in the exhaust after the engine ...
then the question would be hotside oil seal or engine rings or valve stem seals ...
 but oil before the engine, with good compression, screams blown coldside oil seal to me .... Rocket, what do you think ?? you know this engine better than me ....

220hp@18psi

sterling94capri

turbo or motor?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »

thanks,wouldn't the oil coming from my bleeder valve boost controller mean its the turbo, hot and or cold?Rocky

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:00 AM »

Hey Rocky! Most likely turbo. Pull the piping going the fuel injection box. If it's oil coated, then it's definately the turbo. Your compression numbers are excellent.  Gus

sterling94capri

turbo or motor?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »

thanks Gus, Yeah I pulled the coldside pipe, lovely oil/grey graphite looking goo,not too much,but should be bone dry right? same with t-body, oil there too. I have had the boost to stock,-8 lbs for a few days.I bet I had a lot more oil chowder in there when I was enjoying my self at 16 lbs.Mystic wants @485 to hybrid mine.Anybody got one lying around for a good price? Thanks again Gus and rci

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »

ive got an 11 coldside if you can find a wheel and a 14 center with good seals... ill give it to ya if you pay to ship it as foe centers all i have is blown ones too but i think i have one with a blown hotside seal you can have it too of you ship it...
400.00 is way too much for one of theese 14/11 turbos you would be better off buying a rebuild kit or finding one in a yard ...you can use a vj11 center section if you can find one there the same.. except for the coolant passage locations... someone is bound to have one coco customs is upgrading to a bigger turbo and so is icurunnin so there vj14s should be on the market soon....Joe

220hp@18psi

azgtx

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

Look for a turbo shop in your town...you can expect to pay 300.00 on the average if you have a rebuildable core and the vj11 cold side. No special thing about Majestic Turbo.....any good shop can repair your unit. The thing you need to check closely is your turbine housing(hot side) for excessive cracking. Some shops will not do the work if that is the case. If so ..you know you have a reputable shop. I have a VJ11 compressor housing and a wheel for 30.00 shipped if you are interested.
Thanks
Clay

azgtx

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

Also if you do run the 11/14 hybrid you will need to hog out the wastegate hole to the size on a nickel to stop the boost creep you wiil have.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »

Hey Rocky! $500 is a good figure. I recommend you leave all the work to a turbo shop. There should be a few near you. The impellors are very delicate and when the cold side is put together, the assembly needs to be balanced. That is done on a very expensive,specialized machine. If the local shops aren't familiar with the 14/11 hybrid then I would look to someone like Dallas or Majestic. I'm fortunate, as I have a shop about 30miles near. Good Luck! Gus

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »

Hey Rocky!  Also Arizona is correct about porting the waste-gate.  Gus

sterling94capri

turbo or motor?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 02:29:00 AM »

Thanks for the help, I am looking into shops closer to me than Dallas Texas. Azgtx, if I get your VJ 11 pieces will that,and my old turbo, be all that I need to give the rebuilder? Secondly, can the shop enlarge the waistgate for me?Rocky

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 04:28:00 AM »

Hey Rocky! Those are questions for the builder as you approach them. Make sure the bearing housing is from a 14. If not your into a hassle hooking up water and oil lines.  Gus

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »

who needs a water line.... i dont run no stinkin water lines on my mitsu turbo.. turbos are oil cooled.. get rid of the water and run a turbo timer....Joe

220hp@18psi

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
turbo or motor?
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »

I say stick with the water lines...

If you use a different CHRA like the one from a VJ11 the water lines will be different but easy enough to adapt to work.

+1 on porting the wastegate. Makes a huge difference.

And yeah it does sound like the turbo not the motor.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

azgtx

• Old-Timer
turbo or motor?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »

Yep...should be all you will need. That is all I have ever done on these hybrids..I have used VJ11,VF11 and VJ17(TBird)compressors and wheels on the VJ14 turbos with good success.
Clay
Pages: [1] 2