TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Will the Madzda 323 wheel hub mate up to our knuckles?  (Read 2990 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Will the Madzda 323 wheel hub mate up to our knuckles?
« on: April 20, 2023, 12:18:35 PM »

I'm learning how to change wheel bearings, and I borked up my front wheel hub. The end of it is all dented from tapping it off the race and the corners are misshapen. Does anybody know if it can be replaced with a front hub off the 89 mazda 323? They look damn near identical to me.

For reference, this is what I'm looking at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/171259298483?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HxGaajKiSc6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=q581KM2iTfO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 12:22:58 PM by mr_gr1mm »

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
Re: Will the Madzda 323 wheel hub mate up to our knuckles?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 06:13:23 PM »

It looks the same to me. Check and see if the '89 323 takes the same front wheel bearings, and if it has the same wheel stud spacing. If both of those are the same, I'd bet they are close enough to be made to work at least.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 10:17:31 PM »

I have not purchased one to check, but it should be the same as the Capri. It has the holes to bolt the rotor, rockauto lists the bearings as the same, and they have the same wheel lug spacing

I believe the Ford aspire hubs will physically fit, perhaps the axle spline too, but it is 4x100 and does not have a captured rotor
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 10:39:08 AM »

The seller is saying it does not fit the capri, but I call bs on that. It looks exactly the same and has all the correct bolt holes. I'm wondering if it even matters that I chewed up the end of my hub. Will it affect anything? it doesn't seem to play that much of a role so maybe I am just overthinking it?

EShepherd

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 06:00:13 PM »

The seller is saying it does not fit the capri, but I call bs on that. It looks exactly the same and has all the correct bolt holes. I'm wondering if it even matters that I chewed up the end of my hub. Will it affect anything? it doesn't seem to play that much of a role so maybe I am just overthinking it?

Got a picture? If you can clean up the high spots and it's not totally butchered, I don't see why not just send it.

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 07:41:03 PM »

I'll take some pics when I pull it apart again in about a week. At first it was an issue because the top had mushroomed a little bit and I couldn't get the spacer off, but I did some careful Dremel work and smoothed it all down and it looks much better. Thankfully I noticed the damage somewhat early so it wasn't beyond saving. The only real issue I see is that the end of it has some indents but I don't think it actually comes into contact with anything so it might not matter.. I appreciate the input!

EShepherd

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 05:13:53 AM »

I'll take some pics when I pull it apart again in about a week. At first it was an issue because the top had mushroomed a little bit and I couldn't get the spacer off, but I did some careful Dremel work and smoothed it all down and it looks much better. Thankfully I noticed the damage somewhat early so it wasn't beyond saving. The only real issue I see is that the end of it has some indents but I don't think it actually comes into contact with anything so it might not matter.. I appreciate the input!

If everything pressed out okay, I wouldn't be super worried about it. Just make sure there aren't any burrs that'll tear up the bearing races when you press them back in. As long as bore itself is still round, I don't expect it'll cause a drop in the lifespan of your bearings.