TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Airbag SOS code 10  (Read 2967 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Airbag SOS code 10
« on: April 07, 2023, 02:36:40 PM »

Hey all,

My capri has recently been blinking an SOS code on my dash. After startup the air bag light will blink 10 times, pause, then repeat. I did some research and it sounds like this is due to a shorted ground somewhere in the system, and that the crash diagnostic module is likely now bricked because a short such as this will blow an internal fuse in the module that cannot be replaced. Can anyone with experience confirm whether or not this true?

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Airbag SOS code 10
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 10:57:14 PM »

According to the Capri manual, code 10: faulty firing circuit, disarm system

This generally occurs when the slip ring under the steering wheel or the electrical plug for the airbag has a conductivity issue.

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 12:05:38 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I have never done any work on air bag systems / steering assemblies. Do you have any information which may be helpful in doing repairs? For instance, is this likely just a loose connector cable? Or is there anything I need to be mindful of? Such as repeat damage to the module if the cause is not properly identified? I appreciate any info!

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 05:55:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I have never done any work on air bag systems / steering assemblies. Do you have any information which may be helpful in doing repairs? For instance, is this likely just a loose connector cable? Or is there anything I need to be mindful of? Such as repeat damage to the module if the cause is not properly identified? I appreciate any info!

If it's at all like a modern airbag system (I have no clue if it is or not), then there are going to be capacitors somewhere in the circuit. They hold onto voltage after the vehicle's 12v battery is disconnected, and can cause the airbags to deploy even with no power going to the bag. Make sure you disconnect and tape off both the positive and negative battery terminal before doing any diag, and then wait 5-30 mins for the capacitors to discharge. If not, there's a chance you could blow the airbag by disconnecting the wrong thing.

As far as the airbag circuit itself, I've only really fiddled around with the 3 crash sensors tucked into the front bumper. I've never had any issues with those. I do have a spare steering wheel assembly with an airbag sitting in storage, so if you need any pictures or other info off of it, I can make my way over there. I've also seen replacement clock-springs online, which is sounds like may be your culprit. There's also the option of disconnecting your airbag module, which will both disable the warning light on the dash as well as disarm the system. That's the option I picked

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 11:44:33 AM »

Thanks for the info! I like the second option, but won't I fail inspection without the module? Not sure where you are located but I'm in New York State so I'm concerned that I am going to be forced to repair this system..

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 07:07:09 AM »

Thanks for the info! I like the second option, but won't I fail inspection without the module? Not sure where you are located but I'm in New York State so I'm concerned that I am going to be forced to repair this system..

I'm a New York state inspector. Airbag light doesn't matter.  ;D Enjoy