TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: turbo upgrades  (Read 2519 times)

xan175

• 91 Capri XR2
turbo upgrades
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:20:39 AM »

I've seen a lot of people taking about vj14, vj11, tbird hybrid turbos, but I as curious why we can't just bolt on the Vj11 or the tbird turbo without making a hybrid? Will it just not bolt on,  or will it just be laggy?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:19:06 AM by xan175 »

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
Re: turbo upgrades
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »

You can. That's what the Tbird hybrid is--a VJ11 with the Tbird parts on it. You can put on a VJ11, but why do that when you can use the bigger Tbird bits? The 'issue' is really just figuring out what you're gonna do with the piping. The 14/11 is pretty much bolt-on except for the wastegate actuator which is why it's such a cool option. Going VJ11 you need to reroute stuff to get it to bolt up, and if you're going through the trouble you can use Tbird parts.

Pretty sure that's why.

xan175

• 91 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »

Awesome I have a whole tbird turbo sitting in my closet begging to be put on. I have the dump pipe, the oil line fittings and a new waste gate on it.  I'm just going to order a FMIC kit and some new exhaust  parts to see what I can do to get it on. 
But first this weekend, I'm doing head gaskets, a timing set, wheel bearings, brakes, ball joints and tune up parts to make sure she is rock solid before I start doing performance.
Thanks again.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »

You can fit the whole VJ11. The wastegate needs to be modded to fit. The coolant lines are very different. The dump pipe from the stock turbo won't fit it. You will need to modify or make a custom downpipe to fit the VJ11 dump pipe.

The VJ11 has a larger turbine housing A/R. This will cause more lag than stock, but offer better top-end flow and power. This is needed when running the Tbird compressor. It's a balancing act
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:51 AM »

Does any body before tried it with an adapter plate to put on a garret turbocharger. Like gt28rs or some else. Of curse you need another downpipe an oil and water lines but its easy to get the parts.