TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Vibration only while revving  (Read 4840 times)

blackknight

• Capri XR2
Vibration only while revving
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »

Hello, I finally had the chance to start my xr2 for the first time since the complete engine and trans and turbo rebuild. I filled up with RP break in oil it cranked first try I let it warm up, I got in the car and gave a slight revv and it vibrates I can feel in the pedal and steering wheel i don't think its the crank pulley or key problem. It doesn't make a sound just vibrates and not very hard I can just feel it and it didn't do it before rebuild!! Any replies will be greatly appreciate.

twopass

• 89 Festiva ,91 festiva ,92 capri NA,91 capri xr2
Re: Vibration only while revving
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:44:23 AM »

When I got My 91 it ran great but vibrated at higher rpm while driving .
It drove me nuts for a while .
Turned out that the bell housing bolts were loose .

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 02:59:01 AM »

Bell housing bolts sound like a good possibility. If not check your mounts or possibly a bad injector.

You said a rebuild? Was the crank machined and balanced? Flywheel resurfaced? I remember one time I got another flywheel for a Ford truck and it vibrated like you said. I ended up having to get the flywheel balanced to match the crank. Ford was bad about flywheel/crankshaft matching. It seems they changed them every couple years. One little machining can throw the driveline balance off. I know it's a Mazda and a wild thought. Just something to consider if you exhaust other possibilities.

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:48:39 PM »

So, have you road tested it yet?  You can't tell much just idling and revving... Pay attention to power through the gears, rpms where vibration starts, does it get progressively worse as engine speed/load increases, could be simply a bad plug wire, they can be bad even if new...

blackknight

• Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:39:44 PM »

Yes I have checked the bell housing bolts they were a little loose put a dab of loctite and snugged them but the vibe is still there!! I had my crank reworked and balanced along with the Manley rods and a fidanza flywheel also balanced. Mounts look dry but no cracking or anything. I think my next move is to road test hopefully it will work itself in!! I will let you guys know what happens!!!

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »

When I had my head reworked I was cussing because it had a noticeable tick tick to it when I first started it. About 15 minutes later when I was ready to give the machine shop a royal tongue lashing it quieted down. :)

Hopefully yours will settle in. Drive in and make sure the clutch is normal.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:16:44 AM »

I'd ring the machine shop & give them an ask!

One buddy of mine had some awful noises after an engine rebuild. Sounded like rod knock - ended up his flywheel to crank bolts were loose. Whoops!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blackknight

• Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »

sorry for the wait, but finally had it looked at the guy told me transmission bearings and things now the car is hard to drive I spin everywhere just to get it to move.. is there any other transmissions that will bolt up to our car with out any BS involved lol this car is driving me insane. and does anyone know our trans code or name or whatever.

blueamber

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

I thought this problem cropped after the engine, transmission and turbo rebuild?  If the guy is offering to put in another trans on his nickle, I know of several xr2 transmissions sitting in junk cars.  Has to be out of a XR2, the na is different...

blackknight

• Capri XR2
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »

Yes I had the guys look over everything replaced flywheel bolts new motor mount, trans mounts checked turbo all pulleys timing belt spark plugs looked good pretty much narrowed it down to the trans then I decided to start driving it to break it in then it just got worse lol my buddies actually did all the work for me at their shop thankfully because I've spent well over 4k in oem parts alone while I bought the whole car for 800! But I was askin because I have a parts car that I used for the black vinyl interior with the hydro trans it looks like it would work but wanted to kno what else needs to be swapped over before I started I wanted to ask the pro's because if it weren't for this site I would have never restored the car because there absolutely no info out there

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »

It's fairly easy to determine if the vibration is coming from the engine or the transmission. If the vibration occurs when the clutch pedal is pressed in and you have the tranny shifted into any gear while parked, then the engine is the culprit. If the vibration occurs only while the clutch pedal is released so the tranny's input shaft is spinning, then you have a tranny problem.

Swapping a MTX from an N/A into a XR2 would require the flywheel, clutch, axles, clutch pedal assembly, and clutch master cylinder from the N/A donor.
You're better off going to a salvage yard and finding a used XR2 tranny then swapping in the N/A MTX. The N/A MTX is a weaker F series tranny, the clutch is smaller so it won't hold as much power, and the axles aren't equal length which will cause additional torque steer.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:05:43 AM by chrispoe »

blackknight

• Capri XR2
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »

Ok I figured it was a weaker trans!!! DOES anyone have an good used cheap xr2 tranny im from the charlotte North Carolina area!!!