TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: no start (sometimes)  (Read 2250 times)

dylahans1

• 93' Capri xr2 07 Scion tC 97 Dodge Dakota
no start (sometimes)
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and need some help.  I recently picked up a blue 93 xr2 and i fricken love it, however, I have one problem with it.

Sometimes, when i try to start it, nothing happens, doesn't turn over at all, but the dash lights and interior lights still work. i can hear the fuel pump but no clicking or anything from the starter. I'll stop trying and an hour later, the car will start up as if it's never had a problem. Sometimes it won't start all day and i'll try again and it will, the next day. I checked the battery with a multimeter after sitting a week and the voltage stayed around 12.4v and the alternator is putting out 14 something.. I put brand new battery post connectors and made sure the posts were clean. I noticed a small connector on the starter was slightly loose (could wiggle around and pull off fairly easily).  When it does start, it sounds like the starter is strong, but i'm no expert.

On another note, the key cylinder falls out if you pull on it. not sure if that's related or not

Can anyone shed some light on where to look or what to do to help fix this problem?

blueamber

Re: no start (sometimes)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »

That loose connection is probably to the solenoid if its a thin wire .  It doesn't have to make much of a connection to work.

Sounds like a bad starter.  You might have worn spots on the motor that allow contact at times, sometimes not.  Might depend on heat, humidity, phase of the moon... Once whirring, the bad spots don't keep the starter from working, so when it works it sounds ok. 

Could also be the solenoid, but that's integral to the starter.  Either way I'd put in a used or new starter...Chris

dylahans1

• 93' Capri xr2 07 Scion tC 97 Dodge Dakota
Re: no start (sometimes)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:28:53 AM »

sorry for the lateness here, but i put in a new starter and it seems to be working great! thanks man