TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 93 N/A dies while running  (Read 3271 times)

tarawa

• stuff
93 N/A dies while running
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »

93 N/A has begun to die while running, no miss or other indication, just quits. After sitting several hours or overnight it will start and run, but I can't trust it until I find the cause. After dying it cranks over fine. Fuel pump getting weak? Is there a cam positioning sensor? ECM? It's never been wet.  Thanks

blueamber

Re: 93 N/A dies while running
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »

It's happened to me twice, bad ignition modules.  They get heat sensitive and your car just stops until the module cools off, then it will run for awhile.  Supposedly the tachometer needle will move a little while cranking the engine if the modules are good, and not move with a bad module.

There are two of them at the distributor, replace them both...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 01:41:04 AM »

Yep, sounds like ignitor failure. If the tach needle does not move once it dies & you try cranking then you can confirm that.

It will run for shorter and shorter periods of time before it just quits altogether. Luckily not a major or super expensive piece to replace
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

tarawa

• stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »

OK The ignitor, is that called the 'ignition control module"? Rock Auto has 2, one is exterior mounted and 1 is much more expensive and in the distributor. I took the cap and rotor off, there is a plastic cover (black) under the rotor protecting the interior , do you just pry it off? Thanks for the tips, and you're right the run time gets shorter and shorter I had to have mine towed twice in the past two weeks.  Horace

Chicken

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »

I don't think there is any need to replace the one on the outside for your issue.  Do the inside one and it should solve the matter. 

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1993 N/A blue / white soft / blue hard top
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »

yes, ignitor = ignition control module inside the distributor. you pull off the rotor and the cover will easily lift off. no prying required.
Gary