TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: venting the blow off valve?  (Read 3298 times)

redxr2

venting the blow off valve?
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »

is this safe? or am i going to do some damage should i just dump it back into the intake?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »

Venting to atmposphere is perfectly safe. You may need to adjust the BOV a bit to keep the car from blowing off too much air and stalling between shifts .

Your gas mileage may also drop a bit.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

lumbeepride

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »

there are little washers with the new one i bought..how do i go about installing this?? right before the throttle body?and then run it from the wastgate there on the j pipe to the bov?
lumbeepride, \\"trust the chief \\"

rcdraco

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »

You will probably need to change spark plugs more frequently, and have a bit of pumping loss by doing that.  I plan on keeping the OE system until I run a standalone ECU or I can get a larger diameter bypass to run a recirculating Blow off valve.

Main problem you'll have is the car will temporarily run rich after shifts due to the car calculating for air which you are now removing.  There is a reason the car uses a recirculating system, and unless the car is running a serious amount of power, you don't really NEED to modify it.  I turned my boost up slightly over stock, it still gets a mean hiss in shifts similar to a blow-off valve, but it's the complete stock setup, aside from a cone filter off the VAF.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »

You will probably need to change spark plugs more frequently, and have a bit of pumping loss by doing that. I plan on keeping the OE system until I run a standalone ECU or I can get a larger diameter bypass to run a recirculating Blow off valve.

Main problem you'll have is the car will temporarily run rich after shifts due to the car calculating for air which you are now removing. There is a reason the car uses a recirculating system, and unless the car is running a serious amount of power, you don't really NEED to modify it. I turned my boost up slightly over stock, it still gets a mean hiss in shifts similar to a blow-off valve, but it's the complete stock setup, aside from a cone filter off the VAF.
C'mon now man. Please stop commenting on stuff that you really don't have a clue about.

If you were to actually read ANY of the posts here, you'll find dozens of people running vented BOV's no problem. The B6T ECU is not super sensitive to a BOV like some other cars are.

You DO need to replace the stock bypass valve if you want to run elevated boost for the long term - it's a weak rubber diaphragm type that will not efficiently hold boost, it's also very restrictive. Does it work for a stock turbo with stock boost? Yes. Do some freakin research before spouting mis-information on this forum.

The "Mean Hiss" you are hearing is likely compressor surge, not the bypass valve. The OEM bypass system is almost completely silent save for the "mooing" which is the weak rubber diaphragm oscillating at low flow rates.

Spark plugs don't suffer any change in service life with a BOV.
"Pumping Losses"? Really?

If you're only running a Cone Filter, then how would you know the effects of a BOV?
Please keep your posts to personal experience or facts...

-Rocketman
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Chicken

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »

For the benefit of the original poster, redxr2...  

The answer is; the engine will do fine.  

There will be no improvement in your motor's performance. IF you do see a loss in mileage, the motor is evidently performing less efficently.

The washers are probably for shimming the spring in the diaphragm chamber, "part" of adjusting the valve.

The stock ABV is fine for quite a bit of pressure (certainly over 15-lbs). To my surprise a number of the failures I've seen seems to be the spring loses its sealing ability more than the rubber. second place is the diaphragm fails in the vaccuum chamber.  Both usualy from corrosion.

These units were fitted in many cars of the era.  Cars which boosted all day every day to 12-lbs.  The B6T cuts electronicaly at 12-lbs.  This is not the limit of the turbo, intercooler, plumbing, injectors, ignition, cooling, lubrication, pistons, etc, etc. nor the ABV

Stock ABV can be heard aside from mooing.  The surge makes a flutter sound through the circut.

Compressor surge has little hissing in its sound as hissing goes.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaShaftq8_U

I am assuming to clarify that redxr2's mileage may drop a bit, because the B6T ecu is not super sensitive.  (I personaly cant confirm to the experiences of mileage that others have had)

I drove non turbos for some time and retained much of what I learned about turbos.  My mods list won't show anyone here that this is true, its still true though.

**Rocketman please don't think I am a brat with any specific intent.  I see there are matters where we post different pov's.  I think thats great and you are just in many threads here.  Keep posting plentifuly, you're more help than I am.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.