TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Costs for my wish list  (Read 4739 times)

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »

I will be coming into some money this coming july and I'm planning on transforming my xr2.I know there are plenty of threads on mods...but i wonder if someone could give me an estimate on overall cost. In descending order of WANT:

New 16" Rims and tires
Exhaust from header back
Rocketchip
FMIC
Cold air
Boost Controller
Sway bars
New struts and coils
clutch
lsd

Could I do this for under 2,000?

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

Ben- Next time you are out here, call me...I can show you what you need, and help you with pricing. I have a heavily modified XR2 (the Super Roo) that you need to see.......  ;)
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

rcdraco

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »

Probably looking at $600 easy for the rims with tires.  I don't know about cost, I have 2 1/2 exhaust from the cat back 1 resonator, no muffler $300 which was bent by a shop.  I believe the rocketchip is around $100.  Intercooler is roughly $50-100 plus the cost of piping and whatever tools you may need to remove the bumper and navigate the design.  Cold air intake is not really a cost so much as a make it work, you'd need a breather filter on the valve cover, but those run $10 or so from Spectre.  My boost controller is a manual unit from midcounty mustang, I think I paid $50 which is about the highest you can expect to pay.  

Sway bars aren't a common upgrade on these cars, our front bars are HUGE, but if you really wanted to attempt it I'm sure someone would be willing to take your money from you for it.  On the other hand, changing out bushings for fancy ones could benefit you, depending on the source I'd say definitely <$300 for all 4 corners, but I've never actually looked that price up.

Struts are common parts, KYB makes decent ones at $100 or so per strut.  Coils can run $250 for a factory set to $500 for a lowered set.  Clutch kits are incredibly cheap, since there's no slave cylinder to replace, and it's a small engine.  Normal clutchs would be $100 range, with performance ones obviously more expensive.  LSD straight from MFactory is $700 plus the cost of shipping.

It's entirely possible to do all of this under $2000 if you're good with a computer and matching up parts, or if you know people who will cut you a break.  Not to mention this would be you doing a large part of the work.

Added up my numbers I'm getting $2910, which is probably higher then the actual price.

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »

Russ- I'm looking forward to meeting the roo.  I think actually speaking with someone who has all of the experience will help.

RC- I thank you for the estimate...If the sway bar is unnecessary then i wont bother getting it. Im not sure what's necessary and what isn't.

My biggest worry is cost for labor ect. I live in an apartment and dont have the shop, tools, or experience to do it myself. That isn't to say I dont want to have my hand in putting it all together. I love cars and working on them...I just need someone to hold my hand through the process...russ???  ;)  I mean that figuratively of course.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »

Some of these are just estimates here, but:

$400 New 16" Rims and tires
$300 Exhaust from header back
$160 Rocketchip
$200 FMIC
$20 Cold air
$20 Boost Controller
?? Sway bars
$300 + 200 New struts and coils
$400 clutch
$700 lsd

That leaves you at $2700

-That's assuming you're going to go with Tokico HP struts and H&R lowering springs, quality stuff as opposed to OEM crap like Gabriel or KYB's (gr2's aren't too bad) Figure $200 on the springs or $400 if you grab GC coilovers

Wheels can be pricey. Shop around, used wheels are a good bet

$400 for a quality clutch - STAY AWAY from the dirt cheap "OEM" clutches - they don't hold, especially if you're upgrading everything. (can't really stress this enough) 400 is for an ACT Z62-HDSS. SPEC aren't too bad either. Budget eBay clutch would be XTR brand

Boost controllers can be found dirt cheap on eBay - any ball-spring type will work.

Swaybars are already super beefy - grab a urethane bush kit for the endlinks. Whiteline makes a set that will fit if you're really bent on upgrading

The LSD is the killer here, it's an expensive but quality piece. Installation could potentially be pricey too, shop around your transmission shops

-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »

LOL, come on, Ben.....I'll hold your hand...!  Consider doing it a bit at a time. Whenever you are up in McHenry, you can do the work at my barn...everyone does it. Its kind of like a specialty garage for Capri owners!

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »

Rocket- Is an lsd even necessary? With those mods will it be to tough to handle without one?

Russ- Thats awesome, looking forward to it. I think step one will be the ecu, intake, exhaust, and boost controller. Is that a good place to start?

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »

I think that's the best place to start. after those are in, you can decide on the rest. Don't forget the upgraded turbo....

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »

upgraded? or hybrid?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

Upgraded turbo would generally mean hybrid, there's a handful of options, some of which will support nearly 300hp before you have to whole different setup (it really depends on what you want & can do)

LSD is an excellent option but probably not necessary if you are sticking with the stock or a basic hybrid turbo
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »

If I did anything with the turbo it would be a hybrid conversion. I wouldn't want to go with a larger turbo because of lag. I'm planning on doing it all in steps...but I DO need new tires and rims. Also i do hear a few odd noises coming from the underpinnings when close to full steering lock, and i figure if I'm going to have to repair something under the car I might as well upgrade while I'm at it.  

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »

New 16" Rims and tires - Get 17s with 205/40/17 tires. You can find them all day for about $200 on craigslist then buy new tires.

Exhaust from header back - Do you have emissions? If so then you need to keep the Cat or get a highflow one. Most exhaust should around here would charge about 350 from manifold back. Get 2.5in

Rocketchip Rocket got the price right there..LOL

FMIC - Ebay kit will come with almost everythign you need & a BOV for $189 shipped. Will need a few couplers at the turbo

Cold air $15-50 for filter & dont forget the adapter

Boost Controller - I would highly suggest the AEM truboost gauge/controller. It is a digital boost gauge & controller in one. Cost is just over $200

Sway bars - not needed

New struts and coils - not many options & they hit it above

clutch - No need until it goes out.....

lsd - no need

Added things...Need gauges. Boost & Airfuel at minimum. Highly suggest AEM as above for boost & the AEM wideband as well.

LAG is not really an issue. The turbo you using as a hybrid is made for these size engines, 14b or 16g will work well too if you wanted to fab the manidold.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but... I noticed today that immediately after i start my car I hear this whine. It sounds to me like something spinning and rubbing up

bp021590

Costs for my wish list
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »

- up against something...it slows to a stop and goes silent. I ONLY hear it right after the engine starts...sounds like a belt rubbing or something...any ideas chaps?

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Costs for my wish list
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »

have someone start it & get in the bay to track it down
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible
Pages: [1] 2