TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VJ11 Turbo  (Read 5344 times)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

Change your PCV valve?? Turbo seals??  Is there oil in the intercooler??

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »

Siding with the turbo seals being bad, I forgot to introduce oil into the turbo while it was off, and I think that converting to synthetic oil might have caused more harm then good.  That and I'm running with a bad cylinder.  

Just working on the small problems right now, and trying to gather my performance ideas for the day the car isn't leaving clouds.  But at least it's running and it's pretty strong.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »

Why do you have a bad cylinder?

What harm would the synthetic oil have caused you?

Was the turbo dry, or totally rebuilt when you put it back on? It shouldn't hurt it too much, these cars pull oil off the main oil galley so they have oil just about instantly. Unless you revved it to the sky when you started it, it should not have been a problem. If it took a couple cranks before starting it would have been primed anyway
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »

No, I did everything by the book when I put it back together, started it with the coil disconnected to get oil going, then connected the coil, the tach bounced so I started it.  Huge clouds of smoke.  Granted the car hadn't been started in almost 10 months.

3 of the cylinders are at 175psi, and one is at 130psi.  Sounds like bad rings to me.
Pages: 1 [2]