TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VJ11 Turbo  (Read 5342 times)

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »

I have a VJ11 with very minimal shaft play, but it's cracked straight across the wastegate and the crack runs right into the hot side pipes.  

Is it possible to get this welded safely, or is it of any value to anyone here?  It's fairly solid, albeit a bit dirty.

I do also have the entire probe manifold which is completely solid, it's a shame I can't just use it in place of my cracked manifold.

sic sense

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:06:00 AM »

if welding cant fix it I have a manifold and turbo for sale pm me or email me sic_sense_socal@yahoo.com

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »

If you're making a 11/14 hybrid you don't use the exhaust housing, so a crack won't matter
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »

Wait so I had it reversed?  It's the 11 cold side and the 14 hot side?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »

Yes 14 hot side and center and 11 cold side. You could use the 11 center but will have to fab the lines for water.

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »

So I need the turbine and the housing, or just the housing?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »

The turbos are modular. The housings, CHRAs, etc. are interchangeable.

There's two ways of making the hybrid:

1. Send both turbos off to a rebuilder. They'll swap the compressor housing and wheel to the stock CHRA, and rebuild & balance it

2. Remove the stock CHRA from the turbine housing, and replace it with the VJ11 CHRA and cold side.

The turbine wheels are the same, basically all you're changing is the aspect ratio of the turbine housing. (the smaller aspect ratio of the stock VJ14 housing keeps the spool time down on the VJ11 compressor) The VJ11's coolant lines are different but you can easily run new rubber lines. In either case the wastegate actuator bracket should be re-drilled to retain its original geometry.

-Option one is expensive, and has downtime, but you end up with a bolt-on turbo that's been rebuilt

-Option two, you are running a used turbo but it doesnt cost anything more than the VJ11, and some new rubber line. If you're good you can do this in an afternoon and be back up and running

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »

Okay just to clarify both turbos are complete and the VJ11 is the only one with shaft play last I checked.

Can't I just swap the intake housing from the VJ11, or do you need the turbine AND housing from the intake side?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »

You can go that route, you would need both the compressor housing and the compressor wheel. The nut is reverse threaded- don't screw it up. Then send it out or find a place to dynamically balance it for you, you're disturbing the balance on the CHRA. Or you can gamble it and run it as - is

The wastegate bracket would still need to be re-drilled

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »

If the turbines are the same, and all I'm changing is the ratio, why would I need to change the cold side turbine?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »

There is only one "turbine" the cold side is called the "compressor wheel" and is surrounded by the "compressor housing"

The VJ11 and VJ14 use the same turbine with different ratios, but the compressor is larger on the VJ11 which is why it can make more power, it flows more CFM. The VJ11 compressor won't fit in the VJ14 comp housing - you'd need to swap both over.

I highly recommend doing a search - the hybrid process has been discussed here many times

azgtx

• Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »

Maybe this will help you see what Matt is taking about.
VJ11 compressor housing and compressor wheel

VJ14/11 hybrid...includes a VJ14 Turbine housing,center rotating assembly which holds the turbine wheel/shaft and the above compressor.
This is really a lot less of a deal than you are making it. Just put the compressor on your VJ14..after you have a kit put in the bearing housing and have the shaft assembly balanced. It is the best and cheapest upgrade for your B6T to make more power along with a Rocketchip. HTH

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

Yea I'm fully aware what you were talking about.  By turbine I originally meant the entire shaft.  He said they were the same, but should have mentioned that the impellers are different.  I figured out what a CHRA by googling it.  Yea probably the best bet is to take it all apart and have the shaft balanced, get some paint and supplies from work, order a rebuild kit and I should be set.  

Only part I'm worried about now is that my car seems to have oil in the vacuum lines, and it leaks out all over the engine bay and on the valve cover.  Can't find any leaks, but I haven't really examined it yet.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

Which "impellers"

rcdraco

VJ11 Turbo
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »

Impeller/Compressor, same thing.
Pages: [1] 2